Which would you choose? (JBP)

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am anticipating wiring this pine later in the fall. About half way up on the left side you can see a rather thick branch with a new, thinner branch growing beneath it. Which branch would you keep.

1) Thick branch because it is similar to the proportions of the other branches.
2) Thinner branch because a thinner branch has better proportions compared to the trunk (even if other branches are thicker
3) Keep both because ??? (I don't know why but it is an option)

Your advice matters. Thanks.

Attachments

• Pine1.jpg
    Pine1.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 86
  • pine3.jpg
    pine3.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 70
  • Pine2.jpg
    Pine2.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 66

Cmanz

Yamadori
Reaction score
I would keep the lower, more delicate branch. I think that having the cut and direction change will present a natural looking branch with taper and movement.
By the way, is this tree a nishiki cultivar? It looks to me that there are wings forming at the base.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'd keep the higher one.

The lower is nicer but will create a very awkward "T" branch after you remove the top branch. Try to cover it at the pic and see what I mean.

QuintinBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd remove the lower branch. Then bend the higher branch down like the arrow suggests. Maybe a guy wire, or a v-notch to help bend. I know this is a crappy virtual, but have a look see.

Attachments

• Pinebend.jpg
    Pinebend.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 31

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Now you're at 2 and 2. I would keep the lower branch. The upper one is just too fat and too straight. I don't think you could do a natural looking wiring and banding on it.

But then, I'm not at all wild about the entire tree. Sorry.

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
The lower one looks like it has the long neck of a candle...if you should decide to keep it you can cut it back..
Dario what is a T branch...I know bar branch but this one is not one...what is a T branch?

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd remove the lower branch. Then bend the higher branch down like the arrow suggests. Maybe a guy wire, or a v-notch to help bend. I know this is a crappy virtual, but have a look see.

Thanks for the city. I should have explained that the tree has not yet been wired. I will post photos of it wired later this fall. I will incorporate your suggestion.

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Thanks for the virt. I should have explained that the tree has not yet been wired. I will post photos of it wired later this fall. I will incorporate your suggestion.

Top Bottom