white bags?

Generic User

Sapling
Reaction score
I sometimes see these little white bags that almost look like tea bags on top of the soil next to the trunks of Bonsai. Anyone know what they are for?

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
They're used for fertilizer, sometimes you'll also see people use little slotted plastic containers.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
They are used for multiple reasons, for example: after repotting they are strategically placed around the trunk to focus nutrients in certain areas for root growth. You'll see multiple containers used, then in a couple months they'll be rotated around new areas to encourage more roots in other spots.

Another reason is that organic fertilizers can clog up the substrate as it breaks down, so the containers are used to keep the solids in place and only let the broken down particles through into the soil. Also, these particles can become hydrophobic if mixed in with the soil and they'll create dry spots in the soil that will actually repel water until thoroughly saturated.

Keep in mind critters love organic fertilizer (most of the time it's poop, bone meal, blood meal; really stinky stuff...) and they'll steal your bags. Some people will stake these bags into the soil or use wire to secure them in place.

Generic User

Sapling
Reaction score
They are used for multiple reasons, for example: after repotting they are strategically placed around the trunk to focus nutrients in certain areas for root growth. You'll see multiple containers used, then in a couple months they'll be rotated around new areas to encourage more roots in other spots.

Another reason is that organic fertilizers can clog up the substrate as it breaks down, so the containers are used to keep the solids in place and only let the broken down particles through into the soil. Also, these particles can become hydrophobic if mixed in with the soil and they'll create dry spots in the soil that will actually repel water until thoroughly saturated.

Keep in mind critters love organic fertilizer (most of the time it's poop, bone meal, blood meal; really stinky stuff...) and they'll steal your bags. Some people will stake these bags into the soil or use wire to secure them in place.
Thanks for explaining the Science behind them.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Varmints digging in the trees is one reason I usually use a water soluble liquid fertilizer that is not organic. The odors of organic fertilizer can attract squirrels, cats, voles, mice, rabbits & racoons. For me, raccoons & squirrels are most destructive. Cats just knock stuff off the bench or rub against or sleep on small trees.

It is possible to get very good nutrition results using only inorganic fertilizers. Many choose organics, and they work. I prefer the non-organic route..

Top Bottom