PXL_20211209_002322469.MP.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 44

power270lb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
looks aphid, maybe nymph stage/instar
Yeah took a bit of searching but aphids, noticed a sticky residue a few days ago then as I started pulling plants just noticed them on a few more. One by one threw everything in the shower and sprayed every plant down then covered in Neem oil. I have diatomaceous earth powder, was thinking of putting down on the tables cuz it cuts through their skin. Anything else u can think of I should do?

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah took a bit of searching but aphids, noticed a sticky residue a few days ago then as I started pulling plants just noticed them on a few more. One by one threw everything in the shower and sprayed every plant down then covered in Neem oil. I have diatomaceous earth powder, was thinking of putting down on the tables cuz it cuts through their skin. Anything else u can think of I should do?
do it again in about 3-4 days

that’s what I would do, and water well

aside -diatomaceous earth may not be a bad idea, but not always great quality product as insect repellent, or just for your soil makeup ….
I sift those fines not add them

power270lb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
do it again in about 3-4 days

that’s what I would do, and water well

aside -diatomaceous earth may not be a bad idea, but not always great quality product as insect repellent, or just for your soil makeup ….
I sift those fines not add them
Yes me too as well but I bought a bag of powder. I just don't know how the F they got inside I've never had an aphid problem.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes me too as well but I bought a bag of powder. I just don't know how the F they got inside I've never had an aphid problem.
sneaky bastards

if mine, would apply three applications of neem -once every three days (especially under leaves and in crotches of branches/petioles)

if that doesn’t work I’d bring out the nasty, tho I always try to avoid as first measure, especially in the house (kids pets everyone etc.!)

one consideration could be, is the trees health somehow compromised allowing for infestation? any tree with critters and pathogens I don’t just treat I try to optimize all aspects of health -water, light, soil, everything. often it’s some underlying issue that is the real problem; although, could just be the stress of bringing it in from winter

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
No definately not Whitefly! It looks a lot like the empty shed skins of Aphids. Aphids are usually feeding on the underside of young leaves or on young stems. They excrete sticky honeydew onto surrounding leaves. It just takes one fertile female to start a whole infestation.
Your treatment with Neem should fix them, or just use dishwashing liquid(diluted of course) unles you have a massive infestation on lots of plants

power270lb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
sneaky bastards

if mine, would apply three applications of neem -once every three days (especially under leaves and in crotches of branches/petioles)

if that doesn’t work I’d bring out the nasty, tho I always try to avoid as first measure, especially in the house (kids pets everyone etc.!)

one consideration could be, is the trees health somehow compromised allowing for infestation? any tree with critters and pathogens I don’t just treat I try to optimize all aspects of health -water, light, soil, everything. often it’s some underlying issue that is the real problem; although, could just be the stress of bringing it in from winter
All my trees are doing well. Initially struggled after moving inside but all have tons of new growth. I have mylar covering tables and 3 spider farmer sf-1000s with mylar curtains. Just noticed exoskeleton on the tables from molting, would u wipe with Clorox wipes. All my trees are in inorganic soil and sprayed them all really hard with the shower nozzle then drenched in Neem. Safe to put back under lights? @AJL

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
I've seen white flies up close these aren't them these look close to white aphid nymph stage
I agree. Look like wooly aphids to me. Neem is natural and safe. I've used Dawn detergent with good results also.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
All my trees are doing well. Initially struggled after moving inside but all have tons of new growth. I have mylar covering tables and 3 spider farmer sf-1000s with mylar curtains. Just noticed exoskeleton on the tables from molting, would u wipe with Clorox wipes. All my trees are in inorganic soil and sprayed them all really hard with the shower nozzle then drenched in Neem. Safe to put back under lights? @AJL
Would avoid the Clorox, soapy dawn water good alternative for wiping down leaves etc, would do prior to neem or following last neem application

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Aphids it is then. I have a Lot of ficus, including small ones and large ones probably about 100 of them. Only pest I ever had on them was spider mites.
Crossed Fingers.

power270lb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Would avoid the Clorox, soapy dawn water good alternative for wiping down leaves etc, would do prior to neem or following last neem application
Oh no my bad I meant wipe table with Clorox. They seem to be gone tho.

Top Bottom