White Cedar, should I collect?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
This image reminds me of Nick Lenz's "Penelope":
Wow Brian, your right they do have a similar shape. If any of my trees even slightly resemble Nick's that would be amazing. His trees are so inspiring to me. I must have read through his book 10 times. :)

Brian if you have any design thoughts on this tree I would love to hear, you have a great eye!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think this tree has world class bonsai potential
Thanks alot Waltron, I think it could be a great tree some day. Although keep in mind a virtual is only a dream and actually pulling it off is a different story. I think Nick's tree is better :). The tree is really healthy though which is a good sign. Really nice though thanks Waltron, keep me posted on your shoreline huntin.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice and healthy and like you my NL's book is almost worn out. My first impression of the virt is that it doesn't reflect an ancient specimen and the main trunk is too hidden-needs to be exposed as it has lots of character.....you might want to consider reducing the amount of foliage on the left (as the tree has a major right lean- a reflection of decades of wind or lean out over a river or lake?) to better represent a very old tree. Great find and aftercare. G.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
My first impression of the virt is that it doesn't reflect an ancient specimen and the main trunk is too hidden-needs to be exposed as it has lots of character.....you might want to consider reducing the amount of foliage on the left (as the tree has a major right lean- a reflection of decades of wind or lean out over a river or lake?)
Ghues, thanks for this. I think you are making a really good point. I will play around with some other options. But maybe making it less formal and exposing more trunk and lean is good.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Brian if you have any design thoughts on this tree I would love to hear, you have a great eye!
I'd be tempted to keep it a little shorter, and commit to the sweeping right movement by pulling in the foliage on the left. It frames the impressive base nicely. This is really a nice piece.
IMG_8009.JPG

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Brian, interesting idea. I think its a good idea to give the tree more left to right movement.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What do you envision for the foliage in the future? Are you after tight well manicured pads, or do you plan to keep some of the wild white cedar look?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
lookin real good, are those hens and chickens in there? nice.
Good eye Waltron ;)

What do you envision for the foliage in the future? Are you after tight well manicured pads, or do you plan to keep some of the wild white cedar look?
Good question. I think making White Cedar look overly manicured would be quite an accomplishment because of the foliage. I actually want to style it to look like a wild tree but also manicure the foliage as much as I can. Any tips or suggestions welcome. I've done quite a bit of wiring already.

Last edited:

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
im just gonna throw this out there, go ahead and throw it right back if you don't like it, but I'm seeing a potential narwhal here. show stopper, maybe a nice icy blue pot. maybe its a green narwahl. maybe its a beeched narwahl laying in the bushes? maybe its haha im just kidding. kinda.

animal_narwhal.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
im just gonna throw this out there, go ahead and throw it right back if you don't like it, but I'm seeing a potential narwhal here. show stopper, maybe a nice icy blue pot. maybe its a green narwahl. maybe its a beeched narwahl laying in the bushes? maybe its haha im just kidding. kinda.

animal_narwhal.jpg
Ha! My wife named this one Gnarwhal so your on the right track.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You're in landscaping if I remember correctly, cedars handle heavy pruning. I know when cultivating in a pot things change, but sometimes I think there are definitely early years of a tree when you can go hard. The densest cedar are the landscape/topiary trees that get electric trimmers taken to them every year.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
You're in landscaping if I remember correctly, cedars handle heavy pruning. I know when cultivating in a pot things change, but sometimes I think there are definitely early years of a tree when you can go hard. The densest cedar are the landscape/topiary trees that get electric trimmers taken to them every year.
That is true they can take a lot of pruning. People with nice dense Cedar hedges prune them 3 or 4 times per year around here. You can tell a difference with the feel and look of a frond that will fall off in a few years and what part of the green will turn into a woody branch in the future, paying attention to that is important.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Awesome trunk and shari! Great virtual from @Brian Van Fleet 's, but can a reduced remnant of the narwhal tusk be kept? I think it could look killer. But one drawback would be if it pulls your eye straight up from the shari on nebari, instead of letting your eye follow the line along and up the trunk. I've tagged this one to watch the progression!

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks gorgeous, I have two landscape trees in pots but it's going to be hard getting anything as interesting at this out of them.

Top Bottom