White Cedar Yamadori

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's the next step in the presentation of this tree.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 111
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 112
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 145

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I don't think I saw this thread before, what fantastic material to work with. Thanks for sharing I think it would look good on the slab.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That is one cool pot! Who made it if I could ask? Nice tree too...

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The pot was made by Ron Lang of langbonsai.com

I appreciate that a couple of potters told me that if I wanted a slab, ask Ron. He got it just the right size for me. I can't wait to pot it up!!

jason eider

Seedling
Reaction score
Nice pot, I think removing the "cage" of a traditional pot will compliment the wild side of this tree.
nice work.

Jason

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am also curious about the present pot it is in, who made it? Thanks!

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Here's the next step in the presentation of this tree.

Not meaning to be picky and unreasonable but is it possible you could photograph this tree against an uncluttered, preferably neutral, back ground so we could see the tree------Please?

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not meaning to be picky and unreasonable but is it possible you could photograph this tree against an uncluttered, preferably neutral, back ground so we could see the tree------Please?

So you've just offered up an idea for a yard renovation. I need to build a back drop dedicated to taking nice pictures. For my larger trees, I got nothin'

Here's the best pic I can offer. It's from last spring, the tree has been cut back big time during the summer. All of the live foliage is now within the frame of the pot on the right, and under the top of the deadwood.

The foliage looks bad only because it was still in it's winter color. Sorry That's the best for now.

Attachments

• 2013 freshly potted.jpg
    2013 freshly potted.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 118

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
So you've just offered up an idea for a yard renovation. I need to build a back drop dedicated to taking nice pictures. For my larger trees, I got nothin'

Here's the best pic I can offer. It's from last spring, the tree has been cut back big time during the summer. All of the live foliage is now within the frame of the pot on the right, and under the top of the deadwood.

The foliage looks bad only because it was still in it's winter color. Sorry That's the best for now.

Try taking your photos at night against a background of trees and stuff and see what happens when the flash illuminates everything in range of the camera. You must illuminate the tree enough that your digital camera can lock a focus on it, snap the shot with the flash enabled and you should get a decent shot showing just the tree.

Make sure that there is some light illuminating the tree enough that the sensors can pick it up and lock a focus on the image. Take the shot with the flash enabled and you should get something like the photo I just posted. That's how that one was shot.

Attachments

• Mugo09restyle2.jpg
    Mugo09restyle2.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here's a shot from the State Fair. Clean background.

I also included a pic of the underside of this pot by Ron. It's got great drainage and the way he builds it gives it a great suspended look around the edge. The inside edge of the old pot was 22" and the recessed part in the new slab is just slightly over. He really got the details right.

Attachments

• 2014-03-27 14.45.44.jpg
    2014-03-27 14.45.44.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 105
  • 2014-03-28 13.25.28.jpg
    2014-03-28 13.25.28.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 104
  • State Fair 2013.jpg
    State Fair 2013.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 150

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Here's a shot from the State Fair. Clean background.

I also included a pic of the underside of this pot by Ron. It's got great drainage and the way he builds it gives it a great suspended look around the edge. The inside edge of the old pot was 22" and the recessed part in the new slab is just slightly over. He really got the details right.

That's a lot better but now the back ground has robbed you image of the dynamics of that wonderful trunk. If you get a chance try it the way I mentioned to you. This is a potentially wonderful world class tree.

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's a lot better but now the back ground has robbed you image of the dynamics of that wonderful trunk. If you get a chance try it the way I mentioned to you. This is a potentially wonderful world class tree.

By the middle of May, I may gain access to it again, when the snow finally melts. When it comes to the quality of this material, most of my stuff I feel a sense of ownership, with this tree, I feel more like a caretaker. I hope it has a long history as a bonsai!

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
By the middle of May, I may gain access to it again, when the snow finally melts. When it comes to the quality of this material, most of my stuff I feel a sense of ownership, with this tree, I feel more like a caretaker. I hope it has a long history as a bonsai!

As do I that's a good way to think about material like this.

youngsai

Mame
Reaction score
real beauty fourteener! absolutely great, I like the back better myself only because of the live veins' connection and meandering. But nevertheless both the tree is gorgeous, although it does kinda look to me like the deadwood is humping the live vein :p

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is the updated photo for this year. I applied a fresh coat of Lime Sulphur last weekend. After a harsh winter and long cold spring, it is finally starting to perk up and throw out some new foliage. It needs some time to be great. The new pot is great but it looks like a new pot. I have an abundance of clay soil. I'm thinking about mixing some moss and clay and rubbing that into all the cracks and crevices of the pot and letting that create some more dimension and texture.

Attachments

• 2014-07-29 07.34.25.jpg
    2014-07-29 07.34.25.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 110

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Spring of 2016. I repotted it in the same pot this spring. I lifted it up a couple of inches to reveal a strong root that runs the length of the pot but went unseen. I will lime sulpher it later this summer and it will be more evident. I had moss covering the soil for the last couple of years, but I found fewer root s than I would have like to have seen. When I repotted it I put some moss around the edge for erosion control. Wondering if the moss was keeping a good exchange of air from happening, it was pretty thick.

2016-05-23 18.42.31.jpg 2016-05-23 18.41.59.jpg

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
The slab is not really to my liking for this tree, but its a great tree!

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It is a great tree and I feel your frustration. Having a really good tree and a flicker in the back of your mind what kind of pot you would like to put it in. Then you discover that exactly what you want does not exist, so you have to find something close and hope for the best.

Top Bottom