white covering to pine

OldBob

Seedling
Reaction score
I have I believe a 5 needle pine bonsai that seems not as green as usual in Connecticut. It seems to have a slight white coloring on the needles on the inside but not dropping needles. Any suggestions as to if I have a disease or bug?

Attachments

• pine bonsai white covering.jpg
    pine bonsai white covering.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 66

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Please post some clearer photos as this is out of focus ! Cant seem clearly what the problem is!

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Do you see distinct specks of white, or a general white color?

First bet would be scale insect.
Bust out the spray!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
White covering on the base of new needles is probably the sheath they grew from. Nothing to worry about and will disappear as the needles mature.
White fluffy spots at base of needles and on bark is more likely to be pine bark adeljid. Serious pest and needs prompt treatment.

Definitely need better photos to really see what's what instead of guessing.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Agree with the above.

I see possible things mentioned as well but the picture is too out of focus to tell
Prefer not to speculate

OldBob

Seedling
Reaction score
I did spray with my home made insecticidal spray (just dawn and water) and seems a bit better or just my imagination. I took another picture but cant seem to get a good one. Can I bonide Fruit and tree all in one spray on them to be sure to catch any fungus, insects as it says it is an all in one insecticide, fungicide, and meciticide.

Attachments

• pine bonsai white covering2.jpg
    pine bonsai white covering2.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 32

OldBob

Seedling
Reaction score
Do you see distinct specks of white, or a general white color?

First bet would be scale insect.
Bust out the spray!
cant see any actual bugs..just white coloring where needle meets branch

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
cant see any actual bugs..just white coloring where needle meets branch
https://www.kusamurabonsai.org/articles/black-pine-basics/ <-- The link is to black pine care, and I didn't read to check whether it was any good. Look at the little diagram. It shows 2 needles held in a sheath where it attaches to the branch. Now extrapolate that out to 5 needles. The white part is just the sheath of the new needles.

OldBob

Seedling
Reaction score
Very interesting site on pine basics...thank you all for your help..the plant is looking better each day so I believe what I am seeing are sheaths but will surely keep my eye on it.

Top Bottom