PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Collected this Abies concolor last weekend. I had seen it in the spring and passed it up because the buds were already opened.
Here's the current front.
IMG_4667.JPG
Here's the right side. Something killed the top and everything on this side.
IMG_4673.JPG
There was new growth on that side in the spring, which was one of the things that I liked about it, but it died back over the summer.
IMG_4604.JPG
It seems to back bud easily, though. Here are some new shoots right at the base of the trunk and further up.
IMG_4681.JPG
Left side:
IMG_4675.JPG
Back:
IMG_4672.JPG
New leader:
IMG_4679.JPG
I always forget a scale object, so here you go. I was surprised the trunk caliper was just 3.5 inches. It looks beefier.
IMG_4687.JPG

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
Nice tree. It should backbud really well. Looks like a lot of dried sap flow. Borers?

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Nice tree. It should backbud really well. Looks like a lot of dried sap flow. Borers?
Good eye. I didn't get the impression it was borers, but I need to examine it again. I think all the dried sap is on the damaged side and I think all the damage was from some kind of macro trauma, like a bull elk cleaning his antlers on it, or a bear chasing down something in the upper branches! All of the existing foliage looks super healthy.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have always been curious about transplanting white fire. Keep us updated as I'd be curious how it handles winter.

Waldo

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
would be interested to see any updates on your councilor fir. How is it progressing ?

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
would be interested to see any updates on your councilor fir. How is it progressing ?
Unfortunately, this one died in stages, one branch at a time. Probably whatever killed the one side went on to kill the other. I have another one, much smaller, that I collected three-and-a-half years years ago. It’s been growing like crazy, but it has a straight trunk and I’ll need to give it some interest when I style it.

Top Bottom