White fungus on top soil of Carmona, soon after repotting

nelsong

Seed
Reaction score
Hello,

I have had a fukien tea tree for about four years and repotted for the first time a few weeks ago. I was having a problem with mealy bugs that were persisting after multiple treatment methods so I decided to repot because the tree had still been healthy/producing new leaves throughout the pest problems and it was the right time/time of year anyways. I bought standard "bonsai soil" from my local gardening store and repotted it without much trouble. The mealy bugs have not appeared since then and the tree has been producing leaves like crazy and blooming much more than usual. However, I am having reoccuring white mold/fungus that grows on the top soil. I have been watering the tree from the bottom and on the same schedule that I have for years so I'm certain it is not being overwatered. I have scraped off the top layer of soil a few times hoping it would not return but it comes back after each watering. It does not seem to be affecting the health of the tree but I can't be sure.

What I am wondering is: Should I repot the tree again with different soil? This was my first repotting so I didn't pay too close attention to the type of soil which after my research I have realized was a mistake. Now I purchased a high quality akadama and pumice type soil better suited for my tropical tree but I am worried about stressing the plant with another repotting so soon. Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20200621_192405.jpg
    IMG_20200621_192405.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20200618_130912.jpg
    IMG_20200618_130912.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20200616_104050.jpg
    IMG_20200616_104050.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 17

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The fungus is feeding on your soil, not on the tree. So it shouldn't be an issue.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

I agree, not a problem, till it is, but when it is, you'll know if you keep observing well.

It is organic material, organic material can clog things up after while.

Sorce

Top Bottom