White fuzz on soil

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

I decided to check what plants need water today. My little guys I placed in a small miniature cold frame. As soon as I pulled out my trident maple, I noticed small cotton type of growth has formed on top of the soil. Are you guys familiar with this? My moisture meter usually reads high humidity in the cold frame -maybe that helps. In addition, the soil surface still has some green dream. I think it could be moss...

Thanks,

Nick

Attachments

• IMG_1649.jpg
    IMG_1649.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1648.JPG
    IMG_1648.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 58

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's mold ! Its not harmful by itself, it does mean the soil is way too wet though. You need to let it dry out to get rid of it which will also keep the roots from rotting.

ed

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thank you ed. I just removed it and noticed how it is growing on the green dream fertilizing pellets

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yes, Green Dream fertilizing pellets are slow release

It's puzzling to me...why they do that sometimes. I have had it happen with Bougain. Yet know others with success. So I am mind boggled what causes it. Curious if humidity in the air plays a factor as well.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Fert pellets do that when they breakdown, and are fairly moist. I would not be concerned.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I wouldn't be concerned about soil moisture, but I would make sure you have adequate ventilation and it isn't staying too warm in the cold frame.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Same thing happens to fish food left on the inside rim of the tank.

Definitely not enough airflow.

Sorce

Skinnygoomba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My green dream pellets do the same in pots I know are not over-wet. The Dr Earth does the same, gets a little fuzzy for a while then breaks down. I had assumed it was due to the pro-biotics.

My trees, especially the tropicals, seem very happy with organic fertilizers being applied, they have been putting out very good growth and did not drop very many leaves when I took them inside. They've also eliminated most of the issues they had over the summer, which I've attributed to better procedures along with the changes in fertilizer products/schedules. They have also put buds out of old wood, something not so common during the summer using just dynagro.

Last edited:
Top Bottom