White Microscopic larvae on my Chinese Elm's leaves

ficusmania

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have noted that the leaves have started to cover with tiny white spots which is spreading very quickly with most of the leaves falling after few days and new steams dying. I have decided to take a few photos with my camera and I have noted that the spots appears to be tiny larvae.

Does anyone know what pest does it have and how can I give it a solution? I'm concerned that if I do not act soon the tree will not survive for long as it is spreading very quickly. I sprayed the leaves with peroxide + water but I did not see any improvement..

Thanks!

Screenshot 2022-08-05 at 20.16.40.pngScreenshot 2022-08-05 at 20.17.08.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-08-05 at 20.17.28.png
    Screenshot 2022-08-05 at 20.17.28.png
    327 KB · Views: 46
Reaction score
Hey There,

I'm a beginner as well so please take this comment with a grain of salt. Defer to more experienced bonsai growers on here as I also need to post my own issue with my elm.

For me, I have an issue with small spider mites infesting my bonsai and because they are so prolific I liberally use neem oil treatment (one capful to a large spray bottle of water) as it's daily watering just to keep the mites under control.

The mites even slightly affected my juniper which despite keeping 7-8 feet away (their closeness in the picture is just for the picture) and has a few mites on them.

That said my elm is still alive despite weeks of a similar infestation and it turning a shade of red/brown.

I super gently knicked the cambrium and it showed green that and I believe there are new branches.

I will have to switch environments because the balcony is likely too hot and sunny, a perfect environment for spider mites and I need to keep it away from spider mites.

Anyways you should look into neem oil and defer to experienced growers. I think it's the only reason why it kept mine alive.
bonsai_20220713.jpg

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like a horrible case of aphids.
Pick your poison.......... there are many.

ficusmania

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have sprayed the mix of alcohol, water and soap. I’m leaving it 24 hours on the tree and then I will give it a shower. See if it works.. I have been reading quite a bit and they appear to be scale as the leaves turn black after few days..

ficusmania

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Update: The tree has lost half of the leaves.. Not looking good, I believe the mix that I sprayed has harmed the leaves and did not kill the larvaes.. I have seen a group floating on the water tray after watering..

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Go to the hardware store today and buy Bonide insecticide soap today and spray the tops and bottoms of leaves and branches. This tree will die without treatment. I had aphids on a succulent and it almost killed it.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Update: The tree has lost half of the leaves.. Not looking good, I believe the mix that I sprayed has harmed the leaves and did not kill the larvaes.. I have seen a group floating on the water tray after watering..
Half the leaves were killed by the infestation of aphids. Don't know if the mixture you used had any effect on the leaves or not. That would depend a lot on the concentration of the soap and alcohol. There is no question that you were going to lose those leaves already.

ficusmania

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have sprayed it with an insecticide tonight… Fingers crossed that it will work..

ficusmania

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello there, still having this issue! I tried everything and the tiny insects come back again… any ideas? Has anyone had this pest before?

lehigh4me

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I had a bad session with aphids inside last year during the winter. I got some 3-in-1 Insect, Disease & Mite Control by BioAdvanced. Seems to be working for me.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I generally don't have aphid problems but this year it has been a problem for a couple of plants. Dr Bronners soap knockes them back as does alcohol. I use both frequently but I don't mix them together. Personally I don't have much use for Neem oil, though many people report great sucess. I tried it on and off for several years but have much better luck with alcohol and or Dr Bronners which is my first line of defense. A couple plants have been so aphid prone that I am using a systemic on them now. I like Bonide, but there are several good treatments.

ficusmania

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I generally don't have aphid problems but this year it has been a problem for a couple of plants. Dr Bronners soap knockes them back as does alcohol. I use both frequently but I don't mix them together. Personally I don't have much use for Neem oil, though many people report great sucess. I tried it on and off for several years but have much better luck with alcohol and or Dr Bronners which is my first line of defense. A couple plants have been so aphid prone that I am using a systemic on them now. I like Bonide, but there are several good treatments.
Thanks, I have used alcohol and it didn’t work, the tree lost all the leaves after using it, when leaves started to grow again the pest appeared..

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use alcohol at least once a week on one plant or another. I have been pushing the limits but so far no damage on about a dozen ( conservatively) different plants I have used it on. I use 70% drugstore variety with no additives.
I strongly suspect that you lost your leaves from insect damage.
Make it easy on yourself and use a systemic.

ficusmania

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been using systemic insecticide in a weekly basis and did not work.. I will try neem oil as last bullet.. I wonder if I should repot it and change the soil? Maybe the pest comes from the soil not breathing properly?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been using systemic insecticide in a weekly basis and did not work.. I will try neem oil as last bullet.. I wonder if I should repot it and change the soil? Maybe the pest comes from the soil not breathing properly?
That is not logical. I use 3 to 4 different ones in rotation on hundreds of plants.
Sorry, I can't help. That's all I've got.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Last winter I had issues with aphids in my tropicals indoors. Tried the alcohol, soap, and a few other things, but nothing worked. Finally I went with an old school gardeners trick, tobacco tea. Cheap and effective.

Buy some cheap tobacco; anything works really, but I don't use anything with scents or flavors added. Mix a handful with a quart of hot/boiling water and let steep overnight. Filter thoroughly, add a drop or two of dish soap as a surfactant, and spray liberally. You might also water with it to get anything living in the soil.
The nicotine will work on just about anything with a nervous system, so I don't recommend using it outdoors during the growing season, or you'll kill all your pollinators and other beneficials too. It may also discolor and flowers. Treat every few days, stores up to two weeks before the nicotine breaks down.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Buy some cheap tobacco; anything works really, but I don't use anything with scents or flavors added. Mix a handful with a quart of hot/boiling water and let steep overnight. Filter thoroughly, add a drop or two of dish soap as a surfactant, and spray liberally. You might also water with it to get anything living in the soil.
Concern about tobacco mosaic virus always prevented me from using tobacco products on plants. I guess it only impacts the "nightshade" family, so it should be safe for most all bonsai trees. But definitely something to consider.

Top Bottom