White Microscopic larvae on my Chinese Elm's leaves

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
aphids can be simply blown off with a few jets of water or with a drop of dish liquid in a small water spray bottle. or bug clear.
kills most pests. if it looks like theyre still on the tree afterwards you might be right, but theyre probably dead mate. chinese elms are hardy and will rarely succumb to any pests. tree should also be kept outside.

Attachments

• 20221010_174304.jpg
    20221010_174304.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 2

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
@ficusmania - my guess would be white fly. But cure for white fly usually cures aphids and many other pests. It "could be" one of the mites, spider mites tend to be red and live under the leaf, but flat mites and other species look a little different and localize in other areas including upper face of leaf. Cure for mites must be different, as mites are arachnids, different neuro chemistry than insects.

In the UK and EU the range of pesticides is much more limited than in USA, most USA products are not available in EU or UK. @AJL and @leatherback and @Wires_Guy_wires will have better suggestions than any of the USA based members as they will know products available in UK.
OP has probably nuked the crap out of em already and doesnt realise it.

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I tried this solution and didn’t work. Please see photos on my first post. These insects are not similar to what I have in my tree, they are tiny white sport on the leaves that are barely visible. I managed to take the photos with a macro lens.
Well, there are other natural ways. Like for aphids you can put lavender, lemon grass and mint between your plants... worked for me too. So research and find a natural defense

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
aphids can be simply blown off with a few jets of water or with a drop of dish liquid in a small water spray bottle. or bug clear.
kills most pests. if it looks like theyre still on the tree afterwards you might be right, but theyre probably dead mate. chinese elms are hardy and will rarely succumb to any pests. tree should also be kept outside.

I cannot see them move but they are defined spreading as every day I can see more and more white spots on the leaves. They like young leaves on new stems. Today I will take more photos with my phone so you can see it in scale.
Your photos really dont look anything like glasshouse whitefly or tobacco whitefly (apart from being white,)as they have no wings , and their bodies are wrong shape and colour and they dont move.

This link shows what we Brits call whitefly (They are about 1 mm in size as winged adults)

I suspect you might be looking at the dead skins of Aphids you have already killed !
Hopefully when you can post some clear photos of the actual pests we will be able to ID them instead of just guessing!!!
Where did you buy the plant from B&Q or Homebase?

Top Bottom