White moldy looking growth covering base of Gardenia Bonsai

MrzStubbz

Seed
Reaction score
Hello, I recieved my 3yr old Gardenia Bonsai for my birthday in April while we lived in Northern California. Two months ago we moved to Chehalis Wa Zone 8a. Since we moved my poor bonsai has grown this white moldy growth across the base of her soil. I water her weekly by placing her in the black pot shown in the pic just as she is in the pic for 20-30 min. I recently stopped misting her daily as the nursery here told me she does not like to be misted contrary to most articles Ive read. She stays in a southern facing window in the hotel we are in until we go back to California in October. I have not fed her anything other than miracle grow bloom builder once every other month. Im open to any suggestions, Im hopelessly in love with my gardenia, they are known for abundance which was the reason my husband bought her for me. She represents the abundant love I have in my family. Needless to say she means the world to me. I purchased a wider more shallow pot and Bonsai soil to repot if needed. The pot shown is the one she came in.

Attachments

• WP_20140816_007.jpg
    WP_20140816_007.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 47
  • WP_20140816_008.jpg
    WP_20140816_008.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 52
  • WP_20140816_009.jpg
    WP_20140816_009.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 43
  • WP_20140816_010.jpg
    WP_20140816_010.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 36

pgstroud@aol.com

Seedling
Reaction score
Mycorrhizal Fungi

From the picture the white areas appear to be mycorrhizal fungus which is a very beneficial fungus. From what I've seen I'm pretty sure the white material in your plant is this fungus. It can be pinched away from the roots & mixed into the new soil as you replant.
It enhances drought tolerance in the plant, absorption of fertilizers as well as unlocking nutrients in the soil.

To summarize, one source says the benefits include:

Better and more balanced growth

Healthier and more dense root system with hugely increased ability to uptake nutrients from the soil

More abundant flowers and fruit

Reduced need for synthetic or chemical fertilisers

Higher resistance to drought

Reduced stress during transplanting

Stabilisation of surface

Improved resistance to soil pathogenes and environmental stress

Mycorrhizal fungi can increase the root capacity of a plant by up to 700 times in just a few months

It has been maintained that pine trees and conifers would not exist on Earth without the association with mycorrhizal fungi.

Some of mycorrhizal fungi produce mushrooms used in cooking, including the Cep and Chanterelle.

Some more information:

www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A2835533

www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbuscular_mycorrhiza

Hope this helps!

David

MrzStubbz

Seed
Reaction score
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!

From the picture the white areas appear to be mycorrhizal fungus which is a very beneficial fungus. From what I've seen I'm pretty sure the white material in your plant is this fungus. It can be pinched away from the roots & mixed into the new soil as you replant.
It enhances drought tolerance in the plant, absorption of fertilizers as well as unlocking nutrients in the soil.

To summarize, one source says the benefits include:

Better and more balanced growth

Healthier and more dense root system with hugely increased ability to uptake nutrients from the soil

More abundant flowers and fruit

Reduced need for synthetic or chemical fertilisers

Higher resistance to drought

Reduced stress during transplanting

Stabilisation of surface

Improved resistance to soil pathogenes and environmental stress

Mycorrhizal fungi can increase the root capacity of a plant by up to 700 times in just a few months

It has been maintained that pine trees and conifers would not exist on Earth without the association with mycorrhizal fungi.

Some of mycorrhizal fungi produce mushrooms used in cooking, including the Cep and Chanterelle.

Some more information:

www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A2835533

www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbuscular_mycorrhiza

Hope this helps!

David
Thanks so much this is hugely valuable information!! When would you recommend I repot?

Top Bottom