White Oak bonsai question

Jimn78

Seed
Reaction score
So I collected a dozen or so Oak acorns and planted them randomly into a mid sized bonsai pot. I know at least three of them are most likely swamp white oak, but the rest I’m not sure of. Most likely white oak though as they were most common in the areas collected.

If I get at least 5 to sprout, I want to grow them as an Oak forest and get a little bigger pot when the are pot bound. If I change my mind though, will it be pretty safe to seperate the roots from eachother, or is growing them together a bad idea if I decide to change my mind down the road..

Thanks!

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would let them sprout and then the following spring (2022) take them, root prune them and put them in individual growing pots where you can work on them individually. You may want to work their roots every spring until you get a good root structurw going. Once that has happened, you could ground grow them for a few yeara to thicken up their trunks or grow them in bigger containers to help them mature. 10 yrs from now, you can take the individual trees and arrange them into a nice little forest where you can then start the process of growing them as a grouping.

Jimn78

Seed
Reaction score
I would let them sprout and then the following spring (2022) take them, root prune them and put them in individual growing pots where you can work on them individually. You may want to work their roots every spring until you get a good root structurw going. Once that has happened, you could ground grow them for a few yeara to thicken up their trunks or grow them in bigger containers to help them mature. 10 yrs from now, you can take the individual trees and arrange them into a nice little forest where you can then start the process of growing them as a grouping.
Thanks, that may work better. I’ve read white oak don’t need cold weather stratification and its safe to grow them indoors the first winter. If nothing sprouts by December, I’ll put the pot outside a few months and see if any of these are red oak. Hopefully I get at least a few to sprout.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Have you soak tested the acorns to know they are viable?

White oak dont need stratification, but growing them indoors through winter wont be easy unless you have a good amount of light. I started some two years ago inside and they sprouted in february and almost didnt seem to make it. They are still alive, but not very healthy. I would have been better served letting them germinate at a natural pace outside.

Jimn78

Seed
Reaction score
Have you soak tested the acorns to know they are viable?

White oak dont need stratification, but growing them indoors through winter wont be easy unless you have a good amount of light. I started some two years ago inside and they sprouted in february and almost didnt seem to make it. They are still alive, but not very healthy. I would have been better served letting them germinate at a natural pace outside.
I have. About 12 of 30 or so sank... and I let those soak at the bottom of the glass for 6 hours before planting them in moist potting soil. They will be on a west facing window sill with multiple grow lights. They will go back outside as soon as it’s warm in the spring, then in the garage next winter.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
With so many, you should try some outside too.

And some not in the garage!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Jimn78

Seed
Reaction score
With so many, you should try some outside too.

And some not in the garage!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce
I’m thinking I’ll collect more over the next few weeks and plant them all over my yard to see what happens.

Top Bottom