White Oak Pre-Bonsai Question

Guns286

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I just ordered 2 White Oak trees. They should be approximately 10 inches tall and have their roots warped in damp cloth/burlap. Being still pretty new to Bonsai, I want to make sure I get this right. It's the beginning of Fall here in New York so once I get them I plan on unwrapping the roots and planting them in a 1-2 gallon pot with nursery/modified potting soil (so they can grow out) and that's basically it for now. I don't think I should do any root or branch trimming yet. I don't have the ability to grow them out in the ground, so that's not an option. Since general Oaks are native to this area I don't think I have to do much for wintering them. Then, next Spring, I can start to train them (wiring, trimming, etc). Does this plan sound good? Am I missing anything? Or should I do something differently then what I just outlined? Please let me know. Thanks.

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Actually something you may check as soon as you get them is that oaks have a big tap root and very few others when young. So you may want to start reducing the tap root while repotting them.

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I just ordered 2 White Oak trees. They should be approximately 10 inches tall and have their roots warped in damp cloth/burlap. Being still pretty new to Bonsai, I want to make sure I get this right. It's the beginning of Fall here in New York so once I get them I plan on unwrapping the roots and planting them in a 1-2 gallon pot with nursery/modified potting soil (so they can grow out) and that's basically it for now. I don't think I should do any root or branch trimming yet. I don't have the ability to grow them out in the ground, so that's not an option. Since general Oaks are native to this area I don't think I have to do much for wintering them. Then, next Spring, I can start to train them (wiring, trimming, etc). Does this plan sound good? Am I missing anything? Or should I do something differently then what I just outlined? Please let me know. Thanks.
Be sure to protect the roots over winter. Though white oak is native to your area the root zone for a newly potted specimen may be somewhat tender.

Zach

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
In NY, with its winter weather, I would plant them in the ground. These will be too small for several years for much bonsai work and growing in the ground will help them grow faster. Leave them alone for 2-3 years other than some minor branch pruning.

Meanwhile get books and read.

Eric Schrader

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I agree with JKL about put them in the ground, but I can't speak to the winter weather problems.

I'd just like to add that "leave them alone" means that you're modifying what you may think of as the grow-out cut-back cycle to allow for more growth prior to cutback. In a bonsai pot, anything that gets out of the silhouette will be cut off eventually, usually within a few months of growing. Many beginners get over-vigilant about cutting things back which causes the plants' metabolism to degrade.

If you put your trees in the ground don't ignore them, because then they'll just turn into bigger trees. If you want bonsai you have to train your material before it goes into the ground and while it's there to make it more interesting. Control the relative vigor of branching to maintain some small branching.

Assuming that you get good growth to work with and that you don't just hack it off, the more training you do, the more interesting your plant will be.

Top Bottom