White Oak repotted- full sun or shade?

BeebsBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Hey fellow nuts,

A coworker brought in a white oak saplig for me today and i repotted it. Had to, i know i know its not good to do this time of year, but he dug it up out of his yard and the tree was in the slimiest, thickest clay ive ever seen. I had to dig around it within the pot to get it out. It basically just had its taproot and hardly anything else.

After a successful repot, i am now looking at the weather. Its goig to be 95 and humid for the next week. I know oaks love full sun, but do i keep it in the shade for a few weeks until it shows signs of root growth, or do i put it in full sun. Ohh, btw, theres no wind whatsoever, so thats not an issue

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Shade. No question.

You won't kill a tree fast by putting it in shade. It is still getting a decent amount of reflected light and indirect light. If you are curious how much, just come visit me on a cloudy day and see how much power my solar panels are generating :)

However if you put a freshly repotted tree out in full sun you can kill it in a day. If you fry the foliage, and the tree doesn't have enough stored carbs to push new growth, it's game over.

BeebsBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Shade. No question.

You won't kill a tree fast by putting it in shade. It is still getting a decent amount of reflected light. If you are curious how much, just come visit me on a cloudy day and see how much power my solar panels are generating :)

However if you put a freshly repotted tree out in full sun you can kill it in a day.

Thanks. Will do. Quick response will totally save the tree

Top Bottom