White oak seedlings wilting question

ant888

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Hey all,

I just collected 3 small white oak seedlings I plan to eventually make bonsai out of. In the meantime I planted them in the ground last evening. Today, I found out that the leaves are wilting, but not dry. Does anyone know if these look like they'll pull through?

Many thanks.20190528_134649.jpg 20190528_134659.jpg

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, you have a loooooong wait...Anyway, they're a bit limp because they're not established as you have just covered the roots with dirt. That doesn't automatically make them start growing. Their roots aren't functioning at 100 percent yet. It will take some time for them to stabilize in their new home.

ant888

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thanks a lot for your answer. How would I tell (if, that is), they won't survive? I was thinking if the leaves get dry. And yeah, I do have a long wait lol

ant888

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Also I forgot to mention, here's the trees before I planted them. What's interesting is they didn't have much feeder roots: 20190527_183317.jpg

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Future transplanting on oaks: replant prior to bud break as they swell.

20190422_182521.jpg

About this stage.

They dont like root work while not dormant. That said, most trees will have some form of stress after transplant. Dont worry too much if they have a few days or even weeks of not looking at their best.

I transplanted this one in mid april right before bud break. It gave first flush about 2 weeks after. New buds are about to push second set of leaves now. Will remove unwanted branches after this second set of leave flush out, probably about mid june at solstice.

Btw, this is a Red Oak. Will take some closer pictures at home today.

Last edited:

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
My white oaks from acorn havent done well. I started them too early inside.

20190420_110117.jpg

ant888

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Since you have a red oak, you think I can do anything with this tree? It's a red oak too: 20190529_134413.jpg

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Unless you can encourage branching much lower on the trunk, probably not. Oak wont air layer so you cant do much with the top. Other issue is straightness of trunk. You could try to bend it into something interesting but it will be tough.

I would cut back the top each year in late winter and see what kind of response you get down lower on the trunk. Oaks will back bud, but take long to develop.

ant888

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Ok so I will attempt to top the tree late winter. Expect updates with this tree. I will try and see how it goes.

Orion_metalhead

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I wouldnt "chop" it as is normally discussed but instead cut back in stages to force energy towards budding lower in tree.

20190529_144232.jpg

Cut it back to #1 first year. Number 2 next... see how it reacts and then proceed accordingly.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would work first on getting some heft into that thin trunk. Chopping anything now will only slow that work.

If you're worried about budding back down the trunk in the future--don't. It will happen--easily. but that is a few years down the road for this oak...branching is about fifth on the list of training for this tree.

ant888

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I would work first on getting some heft into that thin trunk. Chopping anything now will only slow that work.

If you're worried about budding back down the trunk in the future--don't. It will happen--easily. but that is a few years down the road for this oak...branching is about fifth on the list of training for this tree.
You mean getting the trunk thicker, right?

Top Bottom