White Oak Trunk Chip Question

Ccome15

Sapling
Reaction score
I have a white oak with about an 1-1/2” diameter trunk that I chopped And brought home Sunday. There is only one branch not quite the diameter of a pencil coming out at almost ground level. Should I cut that branch and allow all new budding or leave it? I know it was mentioned that cypress trees Do best when you cut all limbs back and allow to bud all new branches after a chop. Are oaks the same or is it ok to leave for now? There are a handful of buds about a half inch below the chop already as well.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I'm no expert.... but from what I've read, the branches coming out near the bottom will fatten up the trunk if left to keep growing. It would obviously be cut some day, so it's just a sacrifice branch. At my current level of knowledge, I'd keep it if it were mine.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Not much experience with oaks yet, but I'm hesitant to take everything off. The branch at the base should only serve to thicken the trunk if left as a sacrificial for a few years, and help keep the whole tree healthy as it recovers from the chop. The new growth at the top can be your focus next season when it's stronger.

Ccome15

Sapling
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I’ve read a lot about the sacrificial branch on maples to fatten the trunk. Was hoping the same for oaks as well. Unless someone else comments different on here, that’s the route I will take with it!

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Unless trunk boringly straight keep for now. At least ALL growth from trunk will make it bigger. If possible to post picture better advice can be given;).

Ccome15

Sapling
Reaction score
Here are couple pictures. I would have left it, but the opportunity was to take it then, and for ease of transport I went ahead and chopped it. The trunk was definitely straight as well. In the pictures you can see the branch in question. BD8A9F69-AAD7-416A-9F6B-D1E648688588.jpeg

Attachments

• 8DB1B8E5-AF77-49AF-8A12-4FAFC6FD07D1.jpeg
    8DB1B8E5-AF77-49AF-8A12-4FAFC6FD07D1.jpeg
    267.3 KB · Views: 4

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For me, this goes into such a long "timeframe", that I wouldn't even bother worrying about anything with it.

Wait 5 years and revisit....after you get it in a good basket.

Sorce

Ccome15

Sapling
Reaction score
For me, this goes into such a long "timeframe", that I wouldn't even bother worrying about anything with it.

Wait 5 years and revisit....after you get it in a good basket.

Sorce
thanks Sorce.

The plan was chop, get it home before it was thrown away, and wait, and wait, and wait lol. Was just asking for any advice on current actions that could help in any way.

Would also like advice on when to repot and if should first repot be “bonsai soil” or go back to a similar sandy/blacks soil mix. Then actions 3-5 yrs down the road, and at that point would update pics and ask for more advice.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For Oaks personally not oftener than 3 years unless very young seedling then perhaps 2 years for early root system development and start out in Bonsai substrate;).

Top Bottom