White patch of mould on ficus ginseng trunk, leaf drop.

Em-1ly

Seed
Reaction score
Hi,I have managed to keep this ficus alive for 5 years and it seemed to be doing well until recently some of the leaves started to turn yellow then brown and fall off at least 50% of them.I noticed the soil had become compacted so I repotted it into a slightly larger pot with better drainage and a better aerated potting medium, about a week ago, today I noticed this patch of what looks like white mould on the trunk.What could be the cause of this? And how should I physically remove this mould from the tree? And protect the tree from it? Please help 🙏IMG_20210518_205650.jpgIMG_20210518_205701.jpg

Em-1ly

Seed
Reaction score
Ohh my goodness it's spreading! How do I remove the mould?!

IMG_20210520_185409.jpg

SWfloirda

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I see no one has replied to you so I’ll jump in. I’ve never seen that on a tree before I would see if it will just rub off with your fingers, and wash your hands right afterwards. You say you have it for a few years. Have you changed its location or watering regimen? It does look like the tree would appreciate more sun.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's a pretty window!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorry it has been so long with no reply!

There is a chance that "leg" of root is dead and rotten, which may cause it to hold....whatever the hell that is!

If you can get it beyond that window, it'll probably thank you for it!

Sorce

Em-1ly

Seed
Reaction score
Thankyou so much for your responses have been very worried about my tree.
I attempted to remove the mould last night with a cotton bud and some fairy liquid, it came off easily but today I looked and it seems to be growing back already! Maybe it needs some sort of fungicide on it?
Location of the tree has been the same for over a year and watering regime has not really changed as I just check when the soil feels dry, however since the tree started losing its leaves a month or so ago I did repot it, into better draining soil and a pot slightly larger with better drainage, a few days after that the mould appeared, so maybe I damaged it when repotting?
How can I tell if that leg of root is dead? It feels solid/firm.

Also do you mean I should put it outside? Won't this change cause it a drop more leaves?

Sorry for all the questions, really appreciate you taking the time to answer me.

Emily

Top Bottom