White pine bud selection.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is there anything wrong when bud selecting on a white pine to remove all but the center bud if your not looking for the branch to split in two? Everyone seems to say remove all but two buds.
Thank's for any info.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Why don't you want branches?

What kind of white pine?

Just in general, white pines are difficult to make backbud, so the usual advice is to kerp as many branches as possible. Once they get leggy, it's a long and slow project to revive them with interior buds.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Grafted Japanese white Pine.
Most of the tree I plan to leave two buds but there are areas that I would like the branch to continue growing out as a single branch for some time without it splitting. Nobody really talks about anything but leaving two buds. Feel its a good idea if I'm not sure of something to ask first.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Can you post a picture?

JWP are notorious as being difficult to make backbud!

I have seen lots of JWP that USED to be nice, but their owners let them get leggy. No interior branches.

Removing all but one bud will make that branch just grow longer with no side branches. Unless it's a sacrifice branch, I cant imagine why you would want to do that.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This picture was before I evened out the tree by cutting needles. Tiny bit of wire on it. Its hard to see but there is areas that I simply want the branch to grow out to catch up with the others.
20160511_103918.jpg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Looks healthy, how long has it been in Dallas?
How's the other side look? This current front seems to have the trunk moving to the back.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Cutting needles? Like in half? Or cutting them off at the base of the needle?

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cut them about 2mm from the base. The rest would fall off a couple weeks later.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Cut them about 2mm from the base. The rest would fall off a couple weeks later.
Ok. I was afraid you were shortening them!

I like to see pads of foliage rather than a continuous green helmet. I'm in the process of wiring this one out:

IMG_0464.JPG

Most of all the foliage on the right used to be one big mass of foliage. I'm separating them into multiple layers of pads.

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your tree looks fantastic and super healthy. Great color, even foliage and love the style. Big difference with just what you wired. Looks great. Nice work.

Top Bottom