White Pine Decision Please Help Me Choose

daphantom99

Seedling
Reaction score
Would having the JWP in an air pot help it survive somewhat?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

No. Southern Cali is too hot for JWP. JWP need cold winters. They need to go dormant. They actually like it pretty cold.
I left a JWP out on my deck all winter with no protection at all. Granted it was a mild winter here but the tree was fine with sub 30 and the pot freezing for a few days with no problems.

Here are my JWP since you were asking others for pictures.

Jun2020_small.jpg 2016JWP_Sept2016_small.jpg

This is the one that stayed out on the deck all winter. Needs a lot of work, some wire, some pruning.
Its not as nice as the other two so and Ive been trying to decide what to do with it so its been a bit neglected other than feeding and water.

20170821_165903.jpg

And man I really need to update my pictures. Other than the first picture which was from June 2020, the other two are a few years old. The trees have changed a bit since these were taken.

Last edited:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
No. They like cooler temperatures. They like to have a good period of dormancy during the winter.

While “everyone says” they prefer to stay “dry”, I think what they really like is having a soil that drains well.

daphantom99

Seedling
Reaction score
I think it's time to look for a new home to relocate. I see a lot of Bougainvilleas... sigh.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You can always hope this is an Albino Black Pine!

Welcome to Crazy!

Where did you buy it? Locally?

I think, what makes a good bonsai artist great, is the ability to know if you are working towards the "present" tree, or something completely different.

Both these are no good to work towards the present tree. Which make them good for learning.

Seeing the tree is hard.

Seeing the tree that doesn't even exist yet is harder, but it is beautiful, much more beautiful.

Sorce

daphantom99

Seedling
Reaction score
You can always hope this is an Albino Black Pine!

Welcome to Crazy!

Where did you buy it? Locally?

I think, what makes a good bonsai artist great, is the ability to know if you are working towards the "present" tree, or something completely different.

Both these are no good to work towards the present tree. Which make them good for learning.

Seeing the tree is hard.

Seeing the tree that doesn't even exist yet is harder, but it is beautiful, much more beautiful.

Sorce
Albino Black Pine? Is that common and how would you be able to tell if it is an Albino... bought it locally in SCAL.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
So, what's wrong with Cedars? Lebanon, Atlas, Himalayan, some Californian. Lots to look at and I'm surprised that people who grow them haven't spoken up. California is perfect for many that I can't grow...

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@daphantom99
You are southern California, why don't you research which conifers are native to your immediate location, native trees will thrive. Though California is a large state, make sure your list of natives is limited to species that can thrive in your elevation. A high mountain species, even a California native, won't thrive at near sea level in the central valley. But there are many Cupressus species that will thrive.

Also look at what species thrive as landscape plants in your area.

Climate zone really limits what is practical to grow. Why not embrace the fact and focus on trees that will grow in your climate.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Albino Black Pine? Is that common and how would you be able to tell if it is an Albino... bought it locally in SCAL.

I'm just playing. I would ask the guys you bought it from of they can provide any details to help you along, perhaps do some fishing and see if they are just bogus, selling stuff that can't live. I assume it is a regular nursery yes?

Here is More Comic Relief.

Sorce

Top Bottom