White Pine enjoying some shade

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello all.. Just a few shots of my white pine.. It has been a scorcher around here almost continuously..I have been moving the trees to a shady area after 2:30.

I only candle pruned like 2 candles this year.. All the candles grew to the perfect size on their own. Also, yes, the pot is a bit oversized..The tree was not doing well last year..It was slip potted into a bigger pot and it has now regained almost full health.

Not a big tree.. It is only around 12 inches. Sorry about the background.. It is not the best for bonsai viewing.

Rob

CopyofIMG_3925.jpg

IMG_3925.jpg

Copy3ofIMG_3923.jpg

Rob

iant

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Beautiful tree Rob. I love the needle color and length.
Ian

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks iant... Ya, if you had seen it late last fall..You would have been surprised.. Very few needles and what was left were all yellow at the tips. It was either from not having good enough drainage or a fungal problem. Either way, I took steps to treat both issues. Now the tree seems quite happy.

Rob

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Very nice, Rob.

This fall, see if you can do something to make the crown (apex) a little less pointy. It looks like there is one twig that makes the apex "sharp" rather than rounded. Looks like the main branch on the left has the same issue. I'm sure it's something you can fix with a little wire.

I had the same issue with my white pine, and a little wire make all the difference.

Your tree is nicer than mine.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks Adair... The apex you see is a relatively new apex created this season. The top of the previous apex was cut off and this branch is the new, young apex. Also, the candles opend up so it looks a bit pointy. However, this is what is supposed to happen when structuring pines. You have a small apex..usually consisting of a bud or 2, then, new buds emerge creating a flatter, broader crown. It will take time to create a mature flat, crown. Of course, we will see if the tree presents new options in the next couple of years, maybe cut back a bit more..or even let the top grow and then maybe wire.;)

Thanks again.

Rob

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Awesome pine. I don't think the pot is too large for the tree at all. I'm just not partial of that pot with that tree at any size. Needs a lower flatter pot for a slanting tree. this pot makes it seem tippy.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hl Smoke..Thank you very much...and yes. I completely agree with you about the pot.... The tree was in a shallower, smaller pot before it was repotted in the fall due to health issues, probably from inadequate drainage and/or fungal issue. It was put into this larger pot as kind of an emergency pot. Also, the reason for it being so deep is because this tree was originally leaning completely forward. It looked like one big mushroom with a bunch of bar branches. By tipping the tree back, it exposed some beautifully structured branching. When the tree was emergency repotted, I tilted it back to the angle that I wish the tree to be. On the next repot, I will have to assess the root system and see what can be chopped so I can get it in an appropriate depth pot and still maintain the branch and visual integrity of the tree. Thanks again.

Rob

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What a fantastic trunk, this one can only get better in your care Rob. This is a real eye catcher right now and I Like the pot just not its color. I would love to see that in the unglazed flat brown clay color pot as it would accentuate the grey color of the bark. Thats my story and I am stickin' to it ! The only thing that would be nicer than that is seeing show up on my doorstep the 30th of this month with a Happy Birthday card attached to it ! :)

ed

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hl Smoke..Thank you very much...and yes. I completely agree with you about the pot.... The tree was in a shallower, smaller pot before it was repotted in the fall due to health issues, probably from inadequate drainage and/or fungal issue. It was put into this larger pot as kind of an emergency pot. Also, the reason for it being so deep is because this tree was originally leaning completely forward. It looked like one big mushroom with a bunch of bar branches. By tipping the tree back, it exposed some beautifully structured branching. When the tree was emergency repotted, I tilted it back to the angle that I wish the tree to be. On the next repot, I will have to assess the root system and see what can be chopped so I can get it in an appropriate depth pot and still maintain the branch and visual integrity of the tree. Thanks again.

Rob

Very cool. Seems I can hold out hope for my pine.

Thanks, Al

Top Bottom