White Pine on black pine stock

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Careful not to get them too flat, think convex...the pads should be a bit higher close to the trunk, and cascade a bit down/outward towards the tips...each bundle reaching outward toward the sunlight.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I will reshape them before next post thanks.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm excited to see the finished product! Nice tree and good work so far :)

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Very nice tree.

Im also interested in seeing the result when you finish styling it.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Finally had the time to finish wiring this tree this weekend. First time to style a pine. Fortunately I had many branches to work with. The biggest thing I wanted out of this first styling is to get the branches wired down and set. I also wanted to make the best pads I could. If it seems a bit cluttered in the photos I think it's because I still have all the branches that came with the tree still on it. I wanted to get everything wired to the tips before trying to decide what needs to be removed. I think I will look at it for the next couple of months before removing any. Any advice is welcome. First photo is front.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Can you put more movement into those branches?
They seem pretty straight out from the trunk. If you can get some different directions, that will add more dimension and interest. I do think you have a nice tree here.

james

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is nice stock. Appears very healthy. Tree may make a more powerful image should the apex be reduced, total tree height 1/3 less than present, apex gently moving to the left by removing larger branch or leader heading off to the right.

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Hey I know it’s super later in season to repot. What if you recently purchase Japanese white pine on black root. Notice the soil have a little bit too much peat and keeping the soil wet almost, not damped. How can I resolve this? I’m thinking about watering way less but the soil makes me feel like it will remain wet for long time every time I water.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey I know it’s super later in season to repot. What if you recently purchase Japanese white pine on black root. Notice the soil have a little bit too much peat and keeping the soil wet almost, not damped. How can I resolve this? I’m thinking about watering way less but the soil makes me feel like it will remain wet for long time every time I water.

As hot as it is, you do not want to do a full repot now. It will probably kill the tree.

Is the "peat" a moss layer on top?
Remove it and put new soil in that space.

If not, poke holes in the soil with a screw driver to promote better drainage.

I had a JBP with this issue once. The tree was visibly looking bad, and had lost vigor. This is a risky move so do it at your own risk.

I gently pulled the root ball out of the pot and put a half inch layer of gravel underneath it and put it back in the pot. I did not touch the roots or the root ball at all. The tree sat higher in the pot and drained better. You need to make sure the root ball is getting water. I repotted it the following spring and it was fine.

Honestly, if the tree still looks healthy, I would leave it until the proper time.

Last edited:

Ming dynasty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
As hot as it is, you do not want to do a full repot now. It will probably kill the tree.

Is the "peat" a moss layer on top?
Remove it and put new soil in that space.

If not, poke holes in the soil with a screw driver to promote better drainage.

I had a JBP with this issue once. The tree was visibly looking bad, and had lost vigor. This is a risky move so do it at your own risk.

I gently pulled the root ball out of the pot and put a half inch layer of gravel underneath it and put it back in the pot. I did not touch the roots or the root ball at all. The tree sat higher in the pot and drained better. You need to make sure the root ball is getting water. I repotted it the following spring and it was fine.

Honestly, if the tree still looks healthy, I would leave it until the proper time.
Got it, glad I didn’t touch it lol

Top Bottom