White Pine Starter Advice

Hawke84

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I'm tempted to maybe get a mugo pine in the collection also. I have a Scott's pine I'm working out what to do with that I've had in a pot for a few months

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I dont think you're missing a thing.
They do seem to be on the delicate side.
I havent tried one yet because I dont think it will handle the cold.
Or I would have had a couple dead ones under my belt.
I cannot believe you said this. I have more faith in you than that.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I do believe they are only rated at zone 5.
I would really love to try one here but they're expensive too.
https://www.monrovia.com/plant-catalog/plants/1977/japanese-white-pine/
Maybe so, but Monrovia gives them a 4-9. No idea the root stock, just looking at their hardiness.
Would want some protection from the "Tundra" winds, and maybe healed into the ground
for a couple 1 or 2 g starters. Kigi nursery rates to 5. Shoot Brent an email...

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
https://www.monrovia.com/plant-catalog/plants/1977/japanese-white-pine/
Maybe so, but Monrovia gives them a 4-9. No idea the root stock, just looking at their hardiness.
Would want some protection from the "Tundra" winds, and maybe healed into the ground
for a couple 1 or 2 g starters. Kigi nursery rates to 5. Shoot Brent an email...
Alberta spruce barely make it through the winter here.
JWP are not used even in the landscape here.
It's too cold.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
@M. Frary - Hey Mike, my success rate with Japanese white pine is MUCH lower than my success rate with JBP, mugo, or Jack pines. With JWP, a 25% odds of a JWP still being with me 3 years later. I am always screwing something up. I'm better than 75 % odds with the others. I even consider Jack pine easier to handle than JWP. They are touchy. Or I am completely missing the point.
When do you normally repot them?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
When do you normally repot them?
I have repotted in early spring, a little later in spring, and after the summer solstice, around August 15. I have also repotted in autumn. I have had best luck with early spring and August 15. But overall success has been poor. My micro-climate, very close to Lake Michigan, does make August a good time to repot. I've got 3 new test subjects, 2 grafted and one seedling JWP. I'm going to try again, this isn't the best thread to sort out my horticultural issues. I think I have identified most of my mistakes. I'll start a new thread to sort out problems with this new batch. I did keep one grafted 'Ibo Can' going in good health for 14 years, then I pushed it too much trying to get it into a show pot and ready too quickly for a show. Hence my caution about too much too quickly.

Top Bottom