White pine (to small grow this year)

Maya

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi, my White Pine is imported from Japan. She is about 45 years old. I noticed that new games this year have grown very small. Compared to last year's needles, they stay small enough and don't grow. It's just the beginning of August. it seems to me that this is somehow not normal. What's going on with my tree? For some reason he feels bad or is it normal for this white pine after a certain age?
I am in The Netherland, Limburg. Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_9607.JPG
    IMG_9607.JPG
    318.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_9609.JPG
    IMG_9609.JPG
    285.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_9611.JPG
    IMG_9611.JPG
    278.6 KB · Views: 47

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Looks a little smaller than last year. May just be a product of a change in environment and care. Pines need plenty of sun, and white pines do not need as much water as maples or even black pines. Yours looks healthy, if the soil is draining well, I wouldn’t worry yet.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Recently imported trees are usually quarantined in greenhouses. For as long as two years. The environment in the greenhouses is usually not as bright, and is usually more humid than the tree would experience had it been outside. This can affect the trees, and cause them to grow longer than usual needles. So, the old needles may be abnormally long.

Then, if the tree had been quarantined in Japan, then shipped to your country, it was most liKelly bare rioted, and shipped in wet spaghnum moss. Upon arrival, the importer then pots it up. But the tree had been barerooted, so it doesn’t grow as well as it would have if it had not been bare rooted. This means this year’s needles are shorter than normal.
So, you are looking at a combination of longer than normal old needles, and shorter than normal new needles!
Fertilize it this fall, and next year, it should have recovered from the shipping and bare rooting. It will be fine.

meushi

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If the Dutch Limburg temperatures this year were anything like mine... I wouldn't panic at the lack of growth. We've had unusually high temperatures from early Spring until now, which isn't very conductive to growth in pines. Now that the temperatures are dropping, you may be seeing growth.

Top Bottom