White Pine - where to take this tree?

IsaM

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a white pine which I acquired not long ago. I liked the trunk but clearly needs further development in that foliage is relatively sparse and I don't love how it's all laid out.

I don't like what I assume the vendor had as the front of the tree which I think has a pretty unattractive shari attempt on it (picture 2) and therefore I see the old "back" as the front (first picture). For context on size, the Juniper you can see next to it is about the same height as a coffee mug.

I see the future of the tree as a new apex grown out "up and left" i.e. so the apex of the tree sits maybe halfway between where the current apex is and the base of the trunk.

Welcome thoughts!

What I think the front is (recognising branch crossing trunk isnt great)
Front.jpeg

Old front
Back.jpeg

Right hand side

LHS.jpeg

Left hand side

RHS.jpeg

R0b

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is it grafted?

I would put it back in development, there is not a lot of branches to work with.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I see the future of the tree as a new apex grown out "up and left" i.e. so the apex of the tree sits maybe halfway between where the current apex is and the base of the trunk.
I can't quite see what you are seeing. Does this mean grow one or both of the existing branches longer and drop them down along the trunk or grow a new branch part way down that old trunk to develop a new apex?

Top Bottom