White Pine - Yard Tree

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I just had a quick question regarding this white pine in my yard. Wife planted it last year, growing good but the leader is out of control. Iknow this wont be a bonsai unless I convince her otherwise. Should I cut the leader and replace it with one from the 2nd set of branches? When do I do it? I live in eastern IA and read that I should do it during the winter, Ive posted on other sites and cant get an answer, figured this was the best place to try and get an answer.1546107778685.png

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
what kind of white pine? just Eastern white? I've removed branches like that before on white pines no problem around this time but I'm not sure about when to remove a vigorous leader. Since its still in the ground and growing good, I'd say go for it

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I do not know what kind of white pine, the tag only said white pine, the wife picked it out, I just dont want to screw it up. Will the tree fill in the large open area on its own?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
If you want it to become a shade tree than leave the leader, most of the branches will get shaded out in favor of branches up the tree as it gets older. If you want a bonsai then you would remove the leader ;) lol

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
When left out in the open, most pines tend to form pyramidal shapes. So I guess that the open space will be filled eventually by lower branches growing up.
It doesn't look like a pinus strobus (eastern white pine).
It could be a western white pine (monticola).

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Considering the wife wants to keep it for a shade tree, I should leave it alone. I also know which option will hasten my death, and that is chopping it and digging it up in a year or 3 for bonsai. God bless her

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
In Iowa, Japanese white pine and Western white pine would command premium prices, at least double or triple the cost of a Eastern white pine. I figure it is P. strobus, EWP.

Yes, cut leader now. Wire one of the others to be vertical. Keep an eye on the wire, let it cut in a bit, remove before it cuts deeper than half the diameter of the wire.

EWP are not usually used for bonsai. Those that have tried, usually quit in frustration, and wish they had not wasted 20 years working on an EWP. This is exactly my experience. So leave this one as a landscape tree.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
In Iowa, Japanese white pine and Western white pine would command premium prices, at least double or triple the cost of a Eastern white pine. I figure it is P. strobus, EWP.

Yes, cut leader now. Wire one of the others to be vertical. Keep an eye on the wire, let it cut in a bit, remove before it cuts deeper than half the diameter of the wire.

EWP are not usually used for bonsai. Those that have tried, usually quit in frustration, and wish they had not wasted 20 years working on an EWP. This is exactly my experience. So leave this one as a landscape tree.
Thanks Leo, will do it this weekend when it warms up a bit.

I've been reading up on a-lot of older threads and the sharing of knowledge here on this site is remarkable, thank you all. Its also taught me to stop buying the first tree I stumble upon at the store. Im already using the knowledge acquired here to save time and effort on a species that is difficult for a beginner. Is it spring yet?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks Leo, will do it this weekend when it warms up a bit.

I've been reading up on a-lot of older threads and the sharing of knowledge here on this site is remarkable, thank you all. Its also taught me to stop buying the first tree I stumble upon at the store. Im already using the knowledge acquired here to save time and effort on a species that is difficult for a beginner. Is it spring yet?

There is a reason so many of us work on Junipers. They are the silly putty of the conifer world. You can mimic most any tree design with a Juniper, some time, pruning, & wire. All species of Juniper except J. virginiana, ERC, eastern red cedar, this species is problematic, much like EWP, you work on it thinking you are getting somewhere, and then 20 years of work later you realize it will never quite get to the goal, and quit in frustration.

For Iowa, the best leave them outdoors all winter pines are Scott's pine, P. sylvestris, and mugo pine, Pinus mugo. If you can find them on their own roots, or EWP roots, Japanese white pines. Though JWP is much slower growing and a little tricky to work with. JBP Is not reliably hardy outdoors in all parts of Iowa. While books say it is hardy into zone 5, in reality zone 7 it is reliably hardy. It is reliably hardy in zone 6b, but somewhere in the colder side of zone 6a you run into the limit for JBP. I know in my zone 5b backyard, JBP will be fine 2 or 3 winters in a row, then we will have a bad winter, and it will die. Longest a JBP ever lasted through my winters was 4 winters, the 5th killed it. So while JBP works very well for bonsai, if you don't have a good place to winter it with protection, do not try them.

So Juniper, Scott's pine, Mugo, elm of any species, Malus, really focusing on crap apples, all these are very reliable as bonsai. Cotoneaster is another good one especially for the smaller size trees.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Im making a list of trees to acquire in spring with Juniper, Scotts Pine and mugo Pine are all at the top. This being my first year, Im planning to keep the trees outdoors all year. Will be mulching them into the ground for winter next year and maybe build some training boxes. Im going to go outdoors when it warms up and hunt for some trees in the wild, the in laws have some land in SW Wisconsin, and my friends own a farm and quarry I will hunt there as well. Really looking forward to it

Top Bottom