White Poplar and those who dis-belive,,

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
OKAY, this goes out to the one who have doubts about a white poplar (ALBUS spp) that can become a reasonable looking BONSAI. I'll have pictures tmorrow. (after this STORM) LOL!;)

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I seriously think white poplar should be able to become great bonsai. We have them growing all over here, they bud like weeds and have quite small leaves for such huge trees. The leaves are similar to a trident maple too. :)

For some reason everyone in my home town is convinced they are silver maples...(some argue adamantly with me about this... I just leave it after a while.) We do actually have some silver maples around town; but a lot of poplars too.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
i have a FEW Silvers too,,, and I know the diff, this is a white, Hope your's is growing well.

Dario

Seedling
Reaction score
I am really interested to see your white poplar results as I am collecting one in a couple of months.
Cheers, Dario.

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
While we're waiting for this legendary white poplar bonsai, here are a couple of awkwardly angled (but real!) photos of a (I'm assuming White Poplar) sucker that I collected a couple months ago that's struggling to survive. If it makes it through the summer, maybe in a couple years I'll have something interesting that can start its journey to becoming bonsai...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nothing special.. but it's something... whereas from Treekiller, so far we've got...

Attachments

• poplar-post2.jpg
    poplar-post2.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 290
  • poplar-post1.jpg
    poplar-post1.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 279

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a birch (I think) that I bought at a local nursery. This clump style was created by removing the origianl main trunk and letting the suckers develop. I don't have a lot of experience with birch, but what little experience I have has been frustrating because of random die back. However, I love the bark and the shape of the leaves,so I keep trying.

Attachments

• Birch.jpg
    Birch.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 125

monza

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why we wait, here was one of my poplars. It died, should of never collected it not enough roots.

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
.. should of never collected it not enough roots.

It does seem to be that with poplars, since many are suckers with greater dependency on the root system of the parent tree than their own root system, the challenge is getting enough devoted feeder roots. Perhaps trenching and a few extra seasons of growth would be helpful for separating and collecting these trees?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Sorry for the Wait,

Sorry for the wait, gets kinda busy being in the military, but here it is, I did have those in the past ( which shall remain nameless) who have said a White Poplar, wouldn't make a good bonsai. let me know what you think? Sorry, not the best at photography.DSCN0569.jpg

marcosolo

Mame
Reaction score
Impressive.....I don't think the species can compete with some of the smaller foliar and nodal native species, but this tree is something to behold in its own right...I applaud you for trying and succeeding in making something presentable..Forgive me for my previous doubts......How long has it been in training?

daygan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For a Poplar that's really nice! Thank you for posting when you finally found some free time. Do you think it's possible to get shorter internode length / denser ramification on this particular tree?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I think if I could spend some time I could possibly shorten the inter node length, the tree took a hit last year's heat wave, I just let it grow out a bit and recover.I'm afraid of it suckering along the root system like it's parent tree which I collected it from.Any help here on the shortening process will surely help.
Thanks again.
KJ

Dario

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks for the update KJ.
How long has it been in training and how much has the leaf size reduced?
Cheers, Dario.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I think I've had this tree about 10 years, I got it and a few more from a Massive growth out where I work it was about a pencil thin taper at the time. I found this tree can be complicated at time, doesn't take well to pruning, like water, and could prob use almost 2 transplanting a year. They also love to sucker out along the root line. But i'll Keep it for a few more years.

Top Bottom