White powder on soil?

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I use 100% Oildry for my soil and have had great luck with it. I have noticed the tropicals that I brought in for the winter have this white powder like substance on the lot layer of soil when it dries out. Is this some type of deposit from watering?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Are you using different water now that you're inside? If so then I'd say that would be the reason. I have that problem when I use the tap water here at home instead of collected rainwater, as I have a water softener. I do use potassium type softener salt, but still can get a buildup. Some ferts. also can leave a white residue. I find that there is a rooting fert that I have been using for a while is a big culprit of this. And it's very hard to get rid of once it gets on the pots, and sometimes the trunks.

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
During the warmer weather when my tropicals are outside I do use collected water. Although there isn't always enough to strictly use collected water I alternate between tap and collected during that time. Now that my tropicals are inside I was using tap water for about the last 5 months. 3 weeks ago I bought a dehumidifier and I have been using that water strictly.
I have been using 20-20-20 MiracleGro fertilizer since all the plants are pushing all sorts of new growth. I am about to order something more specific for the 3 types of tropicals I have (Fukien Tea, Schefflera Arboricola, and Ficus B) in hopes to make them respond even better being inside. Any suggestions?

Looking at the white powder closely it looks crystal like but touch it and it comes off the soil very easily and turns to powder.
I haven't tested my tap water yet but I am taking a sample to work to see the results. I know the water here is hard (I have a softener but water the plants with untreated water) but I am also told the PH is high. If this is true what would I do to correct this when watering my plants?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't know the answer to the PH question...

I have to say that I was using Miracle gro a few years ago, and had this same problem. I use a product now that is urea free, and eliminates salt buildup, at least for me. I haven't had the problem since I switched. Except for when I use the rooting fert, (MGro quick start) I only use it once at repot, and I always see the problem come back.
What I'm using currently is Bonsai Pro by Dyna-gro. It's pretty inexpensive, it's liquid so easy, and you only use 1/4tsp per gallon. It also has micro and macro nutrients. I've also picked up some green dream for the summer, as I want to step up my fert program.

Kevster

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Sounds to me my next fertilizer purchase will be by Dyna-gro.:)
Thanks for your help!

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That white powder sounds like minerals from hard water too me. I know you probably have good lights for your tropicals when inside and keep them with some humidity available to them or they would not be exhibiting the new growth you mentioned, sounds like they are doing fine.

ed

Top Bottom