White Powdery substance on juniper

Millsarmy1

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi, I'm relatively new to the art and I'm discovering a white powdery substance on my juniper (juniperus procumbens) foliage. I'm not sure exactly what it is but I have my suspicions of fungus. I live in northern Alabama and is a mild climate in winter and I say hot in summer, being that I'm originally from PA lol. I attached a few pics for examples. Tree has been rotated indoor and outdoor based on temps. None of my other trees have this condition...currently. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated! 20190208_103423.jpg20190208_103015.jpg20190208_104553.jpg20181230_162826.jpg

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I doubt that your tree has a primary fungal issue... perhaps, the white stuff could be mineral deposits from watering? I do know that the climate of N. AL would never be severe enough to warrant bringing a procumbens indoors. They dig hot summers and laugh at temperatures at or below 0 F.

WesB

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There is a common product at most Walmarts or garden centers called Scott’s Fungicide 3. For about $5 you get a windex sized bottle of the stuff and just spray it on. It’s a pet friendly neem oil product and will take care of the majority of above the soil pests, mold or fungus. Perfect for those of us who don’t have a lot of trees. I spray 2-3 times a year for good measure.

Millsarmy1

Seedling
Reaction score
Dav4 thanks for the info. I was informed they are very hardy trees and can deal with a variety of temps and climates. I'd say 75%-85% of the year they are outside. I Bring them in for long stretches of heat for a few days at a time and recently we've been getting into the 20°s in the evening.

Millsarmy1

Seedling
Reaction score
There is a common product at most Walmarts or garden centers called Scott’s Fungicide 3. For about $5 you get a windex sized bottle of the stuff and just spray it on. It’s a pet friendly neem oil product and will take care of the majority of above the soil pests, mold or fungus. Perfect for those of us who don’t have a lot of trees. I spray 2-3 times a year for good measure.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have seen salt deposits on junipers close to sea that look a lot like this.
It should wash off with some rain.

If it doesn't, then it might be cuticle wax.

Mildew isn't very common on junipers, never seen it in any species to be honest. So fungal issues; I don't think so.

Switching environments like that stresses them out a lot. I suggest you stop doing that. Here they are out on the bench all winter, one single branch (out of 344, yeah I counted) died due to some kind of damage. Probably from the soil displacement after some hard frosts, but not the frost itself.

Millsarmy1

Seedling
Reaction score
WesB, Awesome!!! Thanks for the tip. I'm going to pick some of this up. I don't have many trees so this should work great. Currently I have five.4 junipers & 1 Chinese Elm with two Elms on the way. That will be all for a long time since I've been successful for the last 2 1/2 years and don't want to push my luck lol.

WesB

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I get that white crap forever. It builds up on nice pots and has to be removed with a metal brush. Hard water, I have found leaving the watering cans to sit overnight helps. Lime build up or hard water stains is what I call it. That neem oil nips it right in the bud though.

WesB

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
WesB, Awesome!!! Thanks for the tip. I'm going to pick some of this up. I don't have many trees so this should work great. Currently I have five.4 junipers & 1 Chinese Elm with two Elms on the way. That will be all for a long time since I've been successful for the last 2 1/2 years and don't want to push my luck lol.

Yep, spray late at night when it’s hot outside. Leaf burn is real.

Millsarmy1

Seedling
Reaction score
I have seen salt deposits on junipers close to sea that look a lot like this.
It should wash off with some rain.

If it doesn't, then it might be cuticle wax.

Mildew isn't very common on junipers, never seen it in any species to be honest. So fungal issues; I don't think so.

Switching environments like that stresses them out a lot. I suggest you stop doing that. Here they are out on the bench all winter, one single branch (out of 344, yeah I counted) died due to some kind of damage. Probably from the soil displacement after some hard frosts, but not the frost itself.
Hmmm, that's also a concern of mine if it was causing too much stress at these periods. Would it cause them to develop this powder or secrete something to develop this? Here is a piece of foliage I just pruned and rubbed just with my fingers and powders/crust comes off somewhat easy with rubbing but not feasible on entire tree!20190208_113110.jpg20190208_113246.jpg

WesB

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The neem oil will get in between the powder and plant. Like soaking a rusty blade in oil.

There are some leaf shine products used to wipe down high dollar office trees that get dusty. It works the same way, like waxing a car.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I keep my junipers stress free, so I don't know how they can be expected to behave.
I wouldn't worry too much if the stuff just rubs off.
It could be anything, maybe even some polish that was sprayed on it while it was in a store.
Keep it healthy and alive, and it will either wash off, or be naturally removed when your foliage outgrows it.
It could even be so, that the spring heat will dissolve it (if it's wax) and you'll never see it again.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Dav4 thanks for the info. I was informed they are very hardy trees and can deal with a variety of temps and climates. I'd say 75%-85% of the year they are outside. I Bring them in for long stretches of heat for a few days at a time and recently we've been getting into the 20°s in the evening.
Again, they should be outside in your location... and pretty much everywhere else in much of North America, including places MUCH colder then yours... 100% of the time. Moving them around a lot, coddling, etc., isn't a good idea and is completely unnecessary.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I had this problem, too.
Some photos of the affected foliage can be seen on post #85
I used a combination insecticide/acaricide foliage spray twice (10 days interval in between) and the problem was resolved.
But the most important is what @Dav4 said above, you must keep the tree outside.

Top Bottom