white spots on Satsuki bark - pest, fungal, treatment?

jeremiah_

Seed
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

this is my first post and it's about my first tree. The tree was suffering of my propagation frenzy; I took some air layerings from it.

Meanwhile, I noticed the tree trunk has white spots and its bark turns towards some doughy texture. I am somewhat concerned about this.

Can you help me out: is this some pest or fungal issue? Might it be the Munich tap water which has quite some hardness, i.e. limestone (rain water is not easy for me to accumulate)?

Appreciate your help.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Willkommen auf der Website! Ich war gerade vor zwei Monaten in München!

Can you share a photo of the tree?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes. Close up pictures of the trunk would be helpful

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Welcome Aboad Bonsai Nut!

It nice to have another satsuki owner in the forum.

This sounds an awful alot like Azalea bark scale, Eriococcus azaleae? Yet we do need to see a couple good photos, especially close up of the white spots to know for sure. Please send these (Using the Attach files button).

cheers
DSD sends

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yea my guess would be scale or adelgids most likely but hard to know for sure without pictures

jeremiah_

Seed
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome. I tried attaching the images initially; maybe due to the moderator approval / spam firewall they did not stick? seemed that the file size was just too big with >4mb. here we go now.

Attachments

• satsuki_1s.jpg
    satsuki_1s.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 38
  • satsuki_2s.jpg
    satsuki_2s.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the warm welcome. I tried attaching the images initially; maybe due to the moderator approval / spam firewall they did not stick?

Just try it again you should be alright.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Greetimgs!

Looks like the white cottony spots up near the beach junction are azalea bark scale. We use imidicloprid at appropriate times for these. But this may be banned in the EU.

Physical removal would work if you can get all of these spots removed. Clean your tool and gloves/fingers (if you touch these - spreading eggs unintentionally) with alcohol each time you remove a spot. Ensure the waste of the spots is sprayed and properly removed.

The lower whitish area may be a fungus or just the bark expanding as azaleas are putting on vascular tissue in the trunks now. The moss on the trunk many be causing the softening issue by creating a moist environment on the trunk causing the trunk to be spongy. ( Actually azaleas in cultivation in Japan accumulate a lot more water then the trees we see and are spongy.)

Please remove all moss. I use vinegar spray (with an apron over the media) and then a toothbrush to brush off/remove the dead moss. Afterwards spray the area with water.

If it were me, I’d follow up with a 3TBSP 3% Hydrogen Peroxide in a Liter of Water trunk sprat as a follow up for fungi (cover the media for this also)

cheers and please post follow ups. 😎
DSD sends

jeremiah_

Seed
Reaction score
Greetimgs!

Looks like the white cottony spots up near the beach junction are azalea bark scale. We use imidicloprid at appropriate times for these. But this may be banned in the EU.

Physical removal would work if you can get all of these spots removed. Clean your tool and gloves/fingers (if you touch these - spreading eggs unintentionally) with alcohol each time you remove a spot. Ensure the waste of the spots is sprayed and properly removed.

The lower whitish area may be a fungus or just the bark expanding as azaleas are putting on vascular tissue in the trunks now. The moss on the trunk many be causing the softening issue by creating a moist environment on the trunk causing the trunk to be spongy. ( Actually azaleas in cultivation in Japan accumulate a lot more water then the trees we see and are spongy.)

Please remove all moss. I use vinegar spray (with an apron over the media) and then a toothbrush to brush off/remove the dead moss. Afterwards spray the area with water.

If it were me, I’d follow up with a 3TBSP 3% Hydrogen Peroxide in a Liter of Water trunk sprat as a follow up for fungi (cover the media for this also)

cheers and please post follow ups. 😎
DSD sends
Thanks for the hints. Could you please be more specific about which parts you attribute to bark scale (beach junction 🤔)?

One more general question: how does the bark of Satsuki evolve? Can the "bark flakes" be removed or do I need to avoid it at all cost? Does it "shed" its outer layer like other trees do?

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for the hints. Could you please be more specific about which parts you attribute to bark scale (beach junction 🤔)?

One more general question: how does the bark of Satsuki evolve? Can the "bark flakes" be removed or do I need to avoid it at all cost? Does it "shed" its outer layer like other trees do?

You’re welcome!

No worries. Check around first junction on right, shows while spots in both photos.

Yes, each produces flakes more or less. I brush mine off after they harden. Use toothbrush and water. Some cultivars a soft brass tooth brush is used.

Cheers
DSD sends

Top Bottom