white spruce literati

Reaction score
I found this tree around December 2018 in a grocery store. They were sold as table-top mini chistmas trees. originally it had a big red bow tied to the top of it. I purchased it for one dollar! I couldn't pass on a one dollar conifer. I didn't really think too much of it. in the spring I potted in a square thing I had laying around and made a new leader. the second photos are today after playing around with wire and slip potted. While I never had any plan for this plant, I hope to make something of it now that I know how it responds to growth management. any opinions or advice moving forward? am I using this branch bender the correct way?

Attachments

• 20210128_173637.jpg
    20210128_173637.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 188
  • 20210128_173543.jpg
    20210128_173543.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 167
  • 20210128_172836.jpg
    20210128_172836.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 178

62veedub

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I like the pot and the tree Is cool. The bottom branch throws it off for me though.

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would leave it alone until at least the fall now to let it recover. It's a cheap spruce, but still a spruce. I'd also leave that bottom branch on to thicken up the base, at least for a couple seasons.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
IMHO, It’s almost impossible to give great advise or suggestions from photos but they can be beneficial to tweak certain nuances. You could keep the lower branch unless you envision a bunjin style?
However......for now, why not bring that lowest branch down and slightly forward to counter balance the exposed roots, the second branch, if you can, take more to the back for depth and separate the two separate branches.
First right branch, wire it and then shorten it by putting curves in it and lay it closer to the bender.
After the lower bend holds, then move it to the next straight section and bend the opposing direction than the bottom one.
Just one idea.
Gman

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Love it! My grocery store spruce just about broke the bank at $10 so you got quite a bargain :)

This is an interesting start, especially given how modest the material is. Nice!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
A couple things, first, good job at getting this tree healthy. Most plants, that make it to the dollar sale point, have been abused beyond possible survival. So you have done well getting it healthy. And you have done well learning the pattern of care that spruce need.

I agree with all the comments of @ghues - I would do pretty much the same things.

One additional thought. Branches look best if on the outside of curves. Consider removing the branch bender, and move it down so that the lowest hook is just below the first branch. Then reapply pressure, just as you have it above. This will move the bend a bit lower, and make the first branch look more like it is on the outside of a curve. It is what I would consider doing, getting the bend a little lower. Then as suggested above, after the curve has set, move the bender up and create a bend in the opposite direction. Bolt upright, rigidly straight trunk segments are not good except for formal uprights and limited other styles.

Roots. Myself I would have planted the spruce much deeper. I would have planted it so there is no "air gap" under the roots. If you replant it deeper, at the next appropriate for your climate repotting season, the roots might still be young enough that in a few years, new roots will develop and you can create a flat, radial root system. If you keep it as is, the roots will bark up to the point where you will be forever doomed to having a trunk sitting on top of a volcano of irregular, ugly roots. At least that is my sense of aesthetics, when it comes to exposing roots. A radial array of roots, like spokes of a wheel, just barely exposed, so that no more than the top third of a root is visible, is what I like to see. Or I want exaggerated exposed roots where the roots are attractively arranged and the tree is perched some distance above the media on attractive roots. The current potting is too high in my book. The nebari of trees in development should be buried at least 1/2 inch or 1.25 cm for the first 5 to 10 years of development. Exposing the roots is only something done for older, mature, well developed bonsai.

However the "root thing" is my personal taste. There are a vocal group on here that love the "ugly volcano". Though I think the more experienced of these vocal proponents of "root volcanos" are just trying to justify their trees that have aged passed the point of being able to be fixed. They are disappointed by the "meh" acceptance of their "volcano root" trees.

But I really like the "good start" you have, or I would have not taken the time to reply. This trees is nice, and the work suggested above by GHues, will help it move forward.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
You can do much the same thing as your “trunk bender” contraption by using a stout piece of rebar, a block of wood, some rubber padding, and some heavy wire. Your device has only those predetermined points of contact. With the rebar and wood, you can place the pressure wherever you want.

Reaction score
IMHO, It’s almost impossible to give great advise or suggestions from photos but they can be beneficial to tweak certain nuances. You could keep the lower branch unless you envision a bunjin style?
However......for now, why not bring that lowest branch down and slightly forward to counter balance the exposed roots, the second branch, if you can, take more to the back for depth and separate the two separate branches.
First right branch, wire it and then shorten it by putting curves in it and lay it closer to the bender.
After the lower bend holds, then move it to the next straight section and bend the opposing direction than the bottom one.
Just one idea.
Gman
Thank you for this.. I trust what you say. I have not wired the first right branch because it is weak and produced no buds last year. the lowest growth i originally left in case the top died back. now I just think its for health.
Love it! My grocery store spruce just about broke the bank at $10 so you got quite a bargain :)

This is an interesting start, especially given how modest the material is. Nice!
I really appreciate that. I never thought it would look this good and I think it has potential now.
A couple things, first, good job at getting this tree healthy. Most plants, that make it to the dollar sale point, have been abused beyond possible survival. So you have done well getting it healthy. And you have done well learning the pattern of care that spruce need.

I agree with all the comments of @ghues - I would do pretty much the same things.

One additional thought. Branches look best if on the outside of curves. Consider removing the branch bender, and move it down so that the lowest hook is just below the first branch. Then reapply pressure, just as you have it above. This will move the bend a bit lower, and make the first branch look more like it is on the outside of a curve. It is what I would consider doing, getting the bend a little lower. Then as suggested above, after the curve has set, move the bender up and create a bend in the opposite direction. Bolt upright, rigidly straight trunk segments are not good except for formal uprights and limited other styles.

Roots. Myself I would have planted the spruce much deeper. I would have planted it so there is no "air gap" under the roots. If you replant it deeper, at the next appropriate for your climate repotting season, the roots might still be young enough that in a few years, new roots will develop and you can create a flat, radial root system. If you keep it as is, the roots will bark up to the point where you will be forever doomed to having a trunk sitting on top of a volcano of irregular, ugly roots. At least that is my sense of aesthetics, when it comes to exposing roots. A radial array of roots, like spokes of a wheel, just barely exposed, so that no more than the top third of a root is visible, is what I like to see. Or I want exaggerated exposed roots where the roots are attractively arranged and the tree is perched some distance above the media on attractive roots. The current potting is too high in my book. The nebari of trees in development should be buried at least 1/2 inch or 1.25 cm for the first 5 to 10 years of development. Exposing the roots is only something done for older, mature, well developed bonsai.

However the "root thing" is my personal taste. There are a vocal group on here that love the "ugly volcano". Though I think the more experienced of these vocal proponents of "root volcanos" are just trying to justify their trees that have aged passed the point of being able to be fixed. They are disappointed by the "meh" acceptance of their "volcano root" trees.

But I really like the "good start" you have, or I would have not taken the time to reply. This trees is nice, and the work suggested above by GHues, will help it move forward.
thank you for your thoughtful reply.. i had actually planned to cut the smaller roots off the main trunk. they bother me. I hate the "exposed-root" style, especially for this plant. if I do trim off those two roots it introduces a low bend in the trunk that helps the design feel more naturally occurring. im not worried about gaining good nebari on this but it'd be nice, i suppose. I like slim trees that are done well and I hope someday this one is. I really like a more penjing style to my trees. I'm evolving always 😆

Top Bottom