White stuff on my juniper

Bluu

Seed
Reaction score
Hi, I bought this about a month ago and have been wondering what this white stuff is in the inner foliage. I has been there since I bought it and don't seem to go away when I mist it. It's been bothering me because when googling healthy junipers it isn't as green.
I do take it outside everyday but bring it inside when it starts to get dark. I water it for at least 2-3 minutes in the morning and if the soil feels a little dry later in the day I give it a small bit of water at night.
The browned tips happened because I tried to prune without learning the proper technique. :(
farther away.jpgwhite trunk.jpg

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Do you have hard water there? - It looks a lot like lime deposit from overhead watering , maybe you should try using rain water ! or is it residue-have you been spraying chemicals on it?
Why do you take it indoors ? Junipers are hardy and need to be outdoors!

Bluu

Seed
Reaction score
Do you have hard water there? - It looks a lot like lime deposit from overhead watering , maybe you should try using rain water ! or is it residue-have you been spraying chemicals on it?
Why do you take it indoors ? Junipers are hardy and need to be outdoors!

Hi, thanks for responding!
Yes, the water we have is hard. I didn't know that could happen when using hard water.
No, I don't spray it with chemicals.
I take it indoors at night because I wasn't quite sure how I should have treated it.

I'll try the rain water, but what should I do about its current state? Will it just go away if I leave it alone and stop using hard water?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Hard water has dissolved minerals like calcium in it. When it evaporates the minerals get left behind. The more you water and the more evaporation the more white stuff you'll get.
Rainwater does not have dissolved minerals so when it evaporates it won't leave anything behind.
The white stuff will stay - for a while. It is very hard to dissolve again, especially if you already have alkaline water. After a year or so those older needles will get too old and die so the white stuff will then be gone.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
when googling healthy junipers it isn't as green.
I do take it outside everyday but bring it inside when it starts to get dark.
This tells it all.
It needs to be outside.
It could even be dead right now if it's not a vibrant green.
Junipers take a long time to turn brown.

Top Bottom