White whispy substances in crevices of a Tea tree.

SubJeezy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Recently purchased a gnarly looking tea tree from a plant store. Tree itself is in good shape but it was very dirty and neglected. Leaves were caked with what looked like road grime or very caked dust. As I was Cleaning the leaves I began to notice a lot of the crevices have little patches of white stringy deposits of some sort. It almost looks like a spiders egg sack, but is much more white and very small. Assuming it's a kind of mold, but have never encountered it. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• 20230531_153855.jpg
    20230531_153855.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 20230531_153825.jpg
    20230531_153825.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 20230531_153712.jpg
    20230531_153712.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 37

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wooly adelgids as noted. Pretty common. Squish em. That wooly coating is waterproof and can shed insect sprays.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Assume this is Fukien tea?
I've never seen woolly aphid on Tea tree and the leaves I can see in the pics don't look anything like any Tea tree I know.

Second the alcohol spray for these buggers. Non toxic and harmless to the tree but kills bugs on contact.
May need a second treatment as eggs hatch after the first.
Systemic insecticide is also effective and most will kill for a few weeks after treatment so usually cleans up existing adults and new hatchings with a single application.

'Road grime' is probably sooty mould which is a secondary fungal infection which lives on the sweet secretions from the aphids. Clean up the aphids and the sooty mould will gradually disappear.

Novablackdog

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Learning a lot from the answers here-never heard of wooly aphids. On the flip side-gnarly is right…I love the look of the trunk-would love to see the whole thing

SubJeezy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Quick update. It's a Mealy Bug infestation. After a deeper inspection I found a few of the little guys hanging out. Hit it with its first isopropyl treatment, will give it a second in a week or so. Thanks for all the insight!!

SubJeezy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Assume this is Fukien tea?
I've never seen woolly aphid on Tea tree and the leaves I can see in the pics don't look anything like any Tea tree I know.

Second the alcohol spray for these buggers. Non toxic and harmless to the tree but kills bugs on contact.
May need a second treatment as eggs hatch after the first.
Systemic insecticide is also effective and most will kill for a few weeks after treatment so usually cleans up existing adults and new hatchings with a single application.

'Road grime' is probably sooty mould which is a secondary fungal infection which lives on the sweet secretions from the aphids. Clean up the aphids and the sooty mould will gradually disappear.
I'm almost certain it's a Fukien. Has the little white Summer flowers and the leaves are the same as my younger Fukien.

I appreciate the insight on the sooty mold. That would make a lot more sense! I've just been spritzing the leaves with water and wiping the mold off with a paper towel. A lof of the leaves were coverd on it, but cleans off easy enough.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Woolly aphid/Mealy bug also live on roots below soil level so keep watching for more to come up above ground.
Diluted Hydrogen peroxide soil drench should deal with any lurking underground.

SubJeezy

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Woolly aphid/Mealy bug also live on roots below soil level so keep watching for more to come up above ground.
Diluted Hydrogen peroxide soil drench should deal with any lurking underground.
Gotcha. I'll be sure to go that the next time it needs watered.

Top Bottom