Whitebark Pines (Pinus albicaulis)

amatbrewer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
While hiking I am constantly amazed by Whitebark Pines (Pinus albicaulis). I can sit and admire them for hours, and the more I learn the more I find to admire beyond their beauty. As they are a threatened species (but not yet protected) I am not willing to collect any from the wild. However I found a source of seedlings from LeBeau Bamboo Nursery so I purchased two last Oct to see how they do in my area (‘shrub steppe’ it is far from ideal for them). I will have to get some pix, but they are currently buried under 2 feet of snow. Being 2yo seedlings I the odds that the two I got will ever become much in the way of Bonsai is remote, but I would love to know as much about caring for them as possible and if they might respond to bonsai techniques (if so what?). Someday I hope to get my hands on some better material and when I do I want to be prepared to properly care for it.

In all my searching about all I have been able to learn so far in relation to Bonsai is that they are long lived but slow growing trees that need well-draining soil and can react negatively to fast releasing fertilizer. They have tight clumps of short needles that they retain for 5-8 years, and have persistent clumps of active buds that remain for decades near the base of the tree and the base of most branches (good back budding potential!). They are also susceptible to pine blister rust and pine beetle. One source says they are closely related to the Bristlecone Pine.
Given they live at high elevations, I assume they need extended cold dormancy and probably protection from my hot/dry summers (oops!). Also because of their natural habitat I assume they can handle drastic pruning (they naturally get damaged by heavy snow and winter storms), and I also assume they probably have naturally springy branches like subalpine fir, so may be difficult to set branches without extended wiring time or more drastic techniques.

When it comes to training, shaping, de-candling, and/or re-potting I have found virtually nothing, so I welcome any information that others may be able to provide.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I grew some from seed, they don't love PA haha. I'm aware of the seller you're talking about as I also purchased an albicaulis from them. Are you certain it's 2 years old (a few inches tall)? Because the one I got from them was a rooted cutting. Wicked nebari but not meant for my part of the globe. Sorry I don't have much info past, "I killed a few". But my two cents says there's probably no need to protect them from dryness or heat if they thrive in lonely exposed mountain peaks. There's a few whitebark fans on this site, hopefulyl they chime in

amatbrewer

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Are you certain it's 2 years old (a few inches tall)? Because the one I got from them was a rooted cutting.
They describe it as a 2yo field grown seedling.

Reactions: GGB

Alexmacrophyllum

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
pinus albicaulis are closely related to Pinus flexilis or limber pine. Still grows at really high elevations.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
But my two cents says there's probably no need to protect them from dryness or heat if they thrive in lonely exposed mountain peaks. There's a few whitebark fans on this site, hopefulyl they chime in

Agreement! Have kept one seedling about 10 years. Killed it. Advise use well draining soil/no wet feet. Fertilized weekly did fine. Be proactive to prevent WP rust/beetles. Use both spray and systemic. Suggest dormant spray use NOW:cool:.

When it comes to training, shaping, de-candling, and/or re-potting I have found virtually nothing, so I welcome any information that others may be able to provide

Personal best suggestion is treat same as JWP in these matters.

Last edited:

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I live in NE Oregon and have collected a few of these at elevations of 5500-7500'. They are smaller and pretty leggy...see pictures of 2018 spring collection below. Several died but some did not. Had a lot to do with bad collecting techniques. At 74 I will probably never see them as bonsais. All of mine were collected under high forest canopies. I would like to find the right one size and shape wise to collect, but it does bother me some that they can get the rust disease at any time, and then there is no cure...they just slowly die I am told. I think Lodge Pole and Blue Spruce are much safer and a better tree to collect. As far as collecting them goes, I have no problem doing that simply because I think they have a better chance living with me than they do up there on the mountain with all of that rust flying around. The Forest Service is supposed to be planting these from seeds collected from old trees that don't have the rust. They are calling them disease (rust) resistant. Peter

Attachments

• IMG_2214.JPG
    IMG_2214.JPG
    253.2 KB · Views: 36
  • Blue Spruce (2).JPG
    Blue Spruce (2).JPG
    421.7 KB · Views: 37
  • Blue spruce.JPG
    Blue spruce.JPG
    345.1 KB · Views: 38
  • lodge pole.JPG
    lodge pole.JPG
    175.6 KB · Views: 37
  • lodgepole.JPG
    lodgepole.JPG
    152 KB · Views: 37
  • White bark pine.JPG
    White bark pine.JPG
    279.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 7000 feet.JPG
    7000 feet.JPG
    364.9 KB · Views: 40
  • old white bark Pine trunk.jpg
    old white bark Pine trunk.jpg
    303.2 KB · Views: 44
  • rust on White Bark Pine.jpg
    rust on White Bark Pine.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 41

CWTurner

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I live in NE Oregon and have collected a few of these at elevations of 5500-7500'.
Love that 7000' pic. I can smell the pine from here.
Is that large round boulder on the right, laying on the downed tree? Looks like the tree fell and pulled the boulder up with it. Really cool.
CW

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Ya know, I had never noticed that before. I'll be back up there sometime this spring if the 10' of snow melts and I'll look and see. It looks like the roots of the tree were tangled with the rock...tree went and the rock went for a ride. Good eyes CW

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Dick Benbow seems to have disappeared by the way folks

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Dick Benbow seems to have disappeared folks. Hasn't been seen on this site since Oct 2016

Last edited:

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I did that the other day and no response. Peter

Top Bottom