Who are the legal Importers in the US?

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
At Nixon's house they have found more than just smuggled bonsai. How'bout that million dollars in a suitcase, conveniently "forgotten" by somebody, at his house?

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
jason,
Are you looking to become an importer or are you going to Japan to select trees and need a legal facilitator?

I would love to but it isn't in the cards right now. One would have to strike a deal with a current license holder since the USDA won't give out any more permits for a quarantine facility. I had a guy who was somewhat serious about backing it.......but knowing the major headaches and red tape I decided against it for now.

Jason

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
I would love to but it isn't in the cards right now. One would have to strike a deal with a current license holder since the USDA won't give out any more permits for a quarantine facility. I had a guy who was somewhat serious about backing it.......but knowing the major headaches and red tape I decided against it for now.

Jason

Looks to me as if you have your hands full with collecting those great Yamadori's anyway.

keep it green,
Harry

capnk

Mame
Reaction score
I've been through the application process, and there are a few points to clarify.
There may be a ban on import of certain varieties of "trees" but I think this discussion is about bonsai. The federal ban as stated applies to "miniature potted trees" (or something like that). Has nothing to do with the variety. So for instance, we cannot import satsuki bonsai without the quarantine qualifications, but we can import bare-rooted satsuki whips.

The pilot program that was started requires bonsai to be quarantined for 2 years. This could be in their country of origin, or after arrival in the US. If done in the US, one must get approval from the feds AND an agreement from the state ag dept to do inspections. California and Oregon ag depts will not cooperate.

The two importers that I know for sure are Brussel's and Bonsai Northwest. However, Bonsai Northwest may not actually be bringing in any trees (as of the last time I discussed it with them).

Just FYI
Chris

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
David Kreutz in St. Louis imports Azaleas.

keep it green,
Harry

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is pretty much exactly what I heard. I'd still really like to find out if anyone know's the names or contact info for the other people. Especially any located on the West Coast.

Thanks for the replys

Is there something in particular you are looking for. I know of quite a few caches of imported trees just waiting for someone to buy them. Due to economic concerns, the best one may be willing to sell some trees on the cheap.

ianb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Is there something in particular you are looking for. I know of quite a few caches of imported trees just waiting for someone to buy them. Due to economic concerns, the best one may be willing to sell some trees on the cheap.

Well why didn't you say so, Xmas is coming and nobody knows what to get me:D. Doesn't even have to be imports I'm looking for nice material/stock at reasonable prices. I'll drop you a PM.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score

Thanks Smoke, my plan is to only buy one tree per year, or none if I can't find something amazing. I have several inexpensive trees but I just consider these practice. I really have not checked with Importers at all, so far have only bought native trees. But I would be really interested especially in imported Azaleas or Black Pine. I'm looking for close to the best in the US and could pay up to a few thousand-which might not be enough.

I really just want to find more places I should be looking for top quality stock.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks Smoke, my plan is to only buy one tree per year, or none if I can't find something amazing. I have several inexpensive trees but I just consider these practice. I really have not checked with Importers at all, so far have only bought native trees. But I would be really interested especially in imported Azaleas or Black Pine. I'm looking for close to the best in the US and could pay up to a few thousand-which might not be enough.

I really just want to find more places I should be looking for top quality stock.

Contact Don Blackmond for you're JBP. Here's an example.

keep it green,
Harry

Attachments

• DSC_9144.jpg
    DSC_9144.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
That definitely qualifies! Japanese import or US-grown, Harry?

Probably an old Japanese import, all Don does is buy, sell and trade from other peoples collections and other dealers, he does no import business. He also sells on ebay.

keep it green,
Harry

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok sorry to post and leave but some "things" took me away for a few days.

Had 7 PM's and a few requests here for premium trees on the west coast.

here you go.

First up

House of Bonsai

Vicky Lee. Gracious lady and really knows what is going on. Not the cheapest place in town but economic pressures may loosen the price easily if purchasing a tree or two. Ask her for what you are looking for and be up front with how much you want to spend. The good stuff is not under your nose. She will take you to them. She has one more cache of trees at lake Arrowhead ready for sale but they are not available yet. The pictures below are of her stuff. Juniper, tridents, black pine and luscious mountain maples with killer nebari. All import.

Lotus Bonsai

Scott Chad.

A real sweetheart of a guy and a really good friend. Tell him Al Keppler sent ya and see what he can do. He always treats me right. If memory serves me White pines are his specialty and mostly the best import he has. Check the website and see the pricing. It is really good for what he has. I have personally seen his pines and they are definately worth the price.

California Bonsai Studio

Very nice trees and the prices seem very fair. The web site does not do the stock justice. They have much more than what the web site shows.

Deer Meadow Bonsai

Jim Gremel

Not really import, but his material is import quality. The prices are right and the material is world class. Atlas cedar, kishu grafted juniper, Itowigawa, yamadori style. Check out his asian pears, best in the business.

I have a few more but you will have to pry those out of my dead clamy hands.

Attachments

• DSC_00141.JPG
    DSC_00141.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 128
  • DSC_00161.JPG
    DSC_00161.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC_00181.JPG
    DSC_00181.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC_00211.JPG
    DSC_00211.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC_00231.JPG
    DSC_00231.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 116

Redwing

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What is the source of the first picture, with the two maples?

-rw

Reaction score
import trees

Ok sorry to post and leave but some "things" took me away for a few days.

Had 7 PM's and a few requests here for premium trees on the west coast.

here you go.

First up

House of Bonsai

Vicky Lee. Gracious lady and really knows what is going on. Not the cheapest place in town but economic pressures may loosen the price easily if purchasing a tree or two. Ask her for what you are looking for and be up front with how much you want to spend. The good stuff is not under your nose. She will take you to them. She has one more cache of trees at lake Arrowhead ready for sale but they are not available yet. The pictures below are of her stuff. Juniper, tridents, black pine and luscious mountain maples with killer nebari. All import.

excellent pics of the trees Smoke !
do you know what soil mix she uses for the jap. maples ?

Oerc201

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
New England Bonsai Gardens here in Massachusetts was one of the first. I encouraged them to do it. The USDA is very demanding but we've gone through 5 imports already (each w/2 yr quarantine) to good success.
john romano
Not sure if you are still active here but i wanted to import a couple of trees and was wondering how to get in touch with nebonsai gardens about getting help importing them?

Reaction score
Not sure if you are still active here but i wanted to import a couple of trees and was wondering how to get in touch with nebonsai gardens about getting help importing them?
I am not that active here anymore. A lot has changed in the last 12 years. NEBG still imports but for their own trees for sale. i do not know if they would do it for an individual - I doubt it). You would have to contact them (email address at the website). I think Jim Doyle at Natures Way in PA imports for individuals but am not absolutely sure. you would have to contact him. It is a difficult process - both administratively (ie. paperwork, inspections, etc) and very stressful on the trees (ie. total bare rooted, sometimes delayed if import station holds up delivery, etc) so most nurseries who import do not offer it as an individual service but for their own resale (then the risk is only theirs).

Oerc201

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you so much for getting back to me i appreciate the response and info. Yeah i emailed NEBG they said no unfortunately. i will try the other person. Thanks

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thank you so much for getting back to me i appreciate the response and info. Yeah i emailed NEBG they said no unfortunately. i will try the other person. Thanks

What are you trying to import?

Top Bottom