Who brings their boxwood indoors in the winter?

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Don't think our winters are severe enough but this year it is bronzing out and it never did that before.

box.jpg

boxwood 2021.JPG

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
In zone 4b and don’t usually bring them in. However this year I will be putting my shohin sized Korean boxwood in the heated cold frame.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have NEVER, EVER brought a boxwood inside for the winter. It's unnecessary and can weaken them considerably. I've worked with Korean (the cold hardiest variety to Zone 4--a headscratcher on why anyone would bring this inside), English, American, and Japanese varieties including kingsville and other small leaved cultivars. Some bronze when they freeze (as they do in the ground in landscapes all over Va.). Their color returns without issue in the spring.

sevan

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I brought my Harland boxwood inside, it has had lots of new growth in the last month. But I'm still new and have only had it since June of this year, so I'm not a good source of information.

Scott

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
at the nursery we protect harlandii in the winter because they are zone 7 plants. And I'm in zone 6. Though I have heard them listed as zone 8 as well, not certain. But I wouldn't think there are too many species you need to worry about at zone 9b

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I brought my Harland boxwood inside, it has had lots of new growth in the last month. But I'm still new and have only had it since June of this year, so I'm not a good source of information.

Scott
Harland is the exception to the rule and is pretty much a sub-tropical plant used extensively in SE Asia.
The others all belong outside.

Top Bottom