Who defoliates oak? Suber?

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Opinions seem to differ. Mine is growing very large NEW leaves. And in full sun.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Personally remove larger leaves to encourage branching, new growth on weaker branches. Also possibly smaller leaves😉.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Healthy oaks can be defoliated. Cork oaks especially will bud back enthusiastically when completely defoliated. I've even removed all of the branches and grown a whole new branch structure from the hundreds of adventitious buds that pop all over the trunk.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Dammit, I meant Robur!
Does that make it different?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Dammit, I meant Robur!
Does that make it different?

I would imagine so, given that suber is mediterranean and evergreen, whereas robur is neither of those. All the same, I have head that all oaks respond well to defoliation. But I have no direct experience with robur, so someone else will need to fill you in.

SevenOaks

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I am just going to put it here, in case someone else in the future looks for Quercus Robur and defoliation:

I had to remove all the leaves on one of my oaklings due to rust spots (learning how to water correctly). It was a bit slow in coming, but now the little one (about 9 cm high) is sprouting leaves again. Others have had several leaves removed and are still going too.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Counterpoint, I've never defoliated my oaks. I never thought it necessary. They respond very well to pruning and trimming creating lots of backbudding and branching. Obviously something you can do, but do you really need to?

Top Bottom