Who has killed more trees than they have on their benches?

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm talking bonsai here not the ones that die at work.
I can safely say I have.
I go through a lot of trees here.
What with the voles,the cold and me they barely stand a chance.
I'm down to about 140 trees right now,I had close to 250 once.
I'm a trees worst nightmare.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, I’ve done a number on an amount I couldn’t even count. The bulk of which have started as nursery trees. The bulk of which that had 3 seasons of work done in a single day. So does it mean im successful if I kill less than half of my trees in a given year??? ?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Easily. And it’s not even close. I probably have 30 Bonsai trees currently in pots, and here are nearly 2 dozen dead soldiers without trying too hard at all. Some of these were painful losses...

Boug, first “expensive” tree Chinese Elm, nerifolia clump, early bench all 13 dead, $1000 collected import KH:
D9B6293D-05DF-44B5-A13D-9A0E21938372.jpeg3A5A0397-49AC-4510-AAB0-8B3DC740C4D9.jpeg004695BE-1236-49EF-B3AD-9163ED3530EE.jpegE575F5DB-1E99-4A78-B5FC-121A6FE631FC.jpeg07082654-760B-42B8-923E-931B4F186345.jpeg
Pyracantha, accepted to Nationals and dead later that year, monster ilex, JBP, JRP, $2000 JWP import:
40BEDD4D-B992-45D6-8C01-016F66385F22.jpegD9BE80BB-FD72-46BF-9A33-CA9DB1DE40A3.jpeg034CE0EE-3BDF-4750-80B0-0CD8B0452116.jpeg2523CD2F-B471-4489-903B-EB4C62B8E026.jpegED65B682-B28F-4F65-8C44-804A3A2CB819.jpeg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If I kill them, I kill them fast :) It typically has to do with shock associated with the first repotting, first styling, etc. Once I have had them for a couple of years, and they are planted in decent bonsai mix, the mortality drops way off.

Many of the trees I kill struggled due to our harsh growing conditions - desert dry heat combined with extremely alkaline water. After I put up shade cloth and started to acidify my water, my mortality rates dropped considerably.

Last edited:

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First silverberry, 1st hawthorn, sweet plum, 1st Juniper, 1st & 2nd JBP, willow, privet. We’re past what’s on my benches.

View attachment 241870View attachment 241871View attachment 241872View attachment 241873View attachment 241874
I’m sorry Brian but this makes me happy ?. I see so many experts on here like yourself and I think you guys are immune to tree death. Like bonsai marvel Wolverines or something. ?. That pyracantha in particular was so spectacular!! Can’t believe that one bit the dust!

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If I kill them, I kill them fast :) It typically has to do with shock associated with the first repotting, first styling, etc. Once I have had them for a couple of years, and they are planted in decent bonsai mix, the mortality drops way off.

Many of the trees I kill struggled due to our harsh growing conditions - desert dry heat combined with extremely alkaline water. After I put up shade cloth and started to acidify my water, my mortality rates dropped considerably.
I think for me also, its finally coming to an understanding and learning of what I did or did not do to the tree that killed it. So theres that at least. ??‍♂️?

Reaction score
Hmmm... Only seedlings like the root pruned JBP for the context and a few others but so far no deaths of larger trees yet. I’m 3 years into the hobby. I must be doing something wrong.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I’m sorry Brian but this makes me happy ?. I see so many experts on here like yourself and I think you guys are immune to tree death. Like bonsai marvel Wolverines or something. ?. That pyracantha in particular was so spectacular!! Can’t believe that one bit the dust!

You should see of the photos of the stacks of deadwood behind some of the nurseries in Japan. Stacks of dead trees - each worth $10,000 or more.

One of my favorite quotes associated with doing dramatic, albeit risky, work to a tree: "you will either kill a bad bonsai, or create a good one."

I can honestly say I have created more trees than I have killed - because of the propagation work that I do. I have 20+ shimpakus that I am growing out that I started from cuttings from larger trees. I actually STOPPED doing most of my propagation work because I have run out of space.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
That’s exactly why I shared. If you want to make an omelet, you gotta break a few eggs.

James W.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If I had known it was a contest I would have documented better!
I still have my first four attempts at bonsai, although I don't let anyone see them.
I have nothing left from the next 3 year's attempts. Maybe 30 trees (well, plants).
Of the next 3 years, I have 5 remaining, mostly because I planted them in the ground.
The last 2 years (since joining bonsai nut) has seen much more success. Mainly because I go through much higher volume.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
That’s exactly why I shared. If you want to make an omelet, you gotta break a few eggs.

It is also why I advise all people starting in bonsai - get a LOT of inexpensive trees and do a LOT of work on them. I'm not saying to hack the trees - rather try to use your best repotting skills, your best pruning skills, your best wiring skills. See how far you can take a tree before it stresses or dies. You don't want your first Japanese white pine to be a $2000 import... you are likely going to kill it. Rather you want to have owned and worked on at least a dozen small white pines before you spend money on a nice one.

Each species has secrets. What works on one may not work on another. The classic example is the difference between caring for Japanese black pine versus Japanese white pine, where using the same approach on both species could very well kill or destroy one of them.

I am currently "experimenting" with manzanita - because they grow like weeds in the wild, have beautiful curving natural trunks and deadwood... and no one can keep them alive in a container. I have already managed to kill two of them... without even doing any root work(!) How is it possible a native species with broad range that grows well in hostile environments does not accept container culture? I just haven't learned its secrets yet.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is also why I advise all people starting in bonsai - get a LOT of inexpensive trees and do a LOT of work on them. I'm not saying to hack the trees - rather try to use your best repotting skills, your best pruning skills, your best wiring skills. See how far you can take a tree before it stresses or dies. You don't want your first Japanese white pine to be a $2000 import... you are likely going to kill it. Rather you want to have owned and worked on at least a dozen small white pines before you spend money on a nice one.

Each species has secrets. What works on one may not work on another. The classic example is the difference between caring for Japanese black pine versus Japanese white pine, where using the same approach on both species could very well kill or destroy one of them.

I am currently "experimenting" with manzanita - because they grow like weeds in the wild, have beautiful curving natural trunks and deadwood... and no one can keep them alive in a container. I have already managed to kill two of them... without even doing any root work(!) How is it possible a native species with broad range that grows well in hostile environments does not accept container culture? I just haven't learned its secrets yet.
That’s how I feel about Piñon pine. I’ve had zero success collecting out of the 5 I’ve tried. Todd Schlage seems to have been able to manage to collect quite a few though so I know it’s possible!!

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@M. Frary

almost 40 years, Gogeerah, wanna count ?

Just lost 6, 10 year old from seed J.B.pines.
Day 90/3 deg. F Night 68/65 deg.F
They couldn't handle it.

Nor count 5 over 10 year old Fukien teas from seed.
Bah humbug.

Locals ------- no problems.
Adapted.
Good Day
Anthony:(

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This thread makes me feel less guilty but still 'yes I've killed more trees that I currently have'

Top Bottom