Who has worked with Potentilla Fruticosa?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I spend a lot of time scouting and collecting in Northern Michigan. My world has been full of two species Larch and Eastern White Cedar. I love both. Recently I stumbled onto a large area of wild Potentilla growing on a customer's property. At first I did not know what they were but I was intrigued by the deadwood, flaky bark, and yellow flower. The ones that I have seen have great detail in a small package.

After some research I am getting very excited about this species for my area. Another species and it flowers nearly all season....what!!!???!!! How have I missed this up to now. So far this is what I have found:

-roots very easily (can fill a pot with roots in one year)
-beautiful deadwood
-flaky bark
-yellow flowers almost all season long if you let them grow
-tiny leaves
-can make believable mame bonsai (im thinking bigger)

I can find some examples of Potentilla bonsai but I am suprised that I do not see more. Does anyone have any that they could share? Or any specifics about the species?

I plan to visit the property again to identify some of the top candidates. I have attached the picture I took of one of the trees when I was unsure what it was.
IMG_0728.jpg

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
See that’s what I’m talking about.... that’s beautiful!

was it nursery stock or collected?
this was collected from a field of potentilla. Municipality was taking it out, and I had a friend working for them.
It was not happy in my yard with my work-absense in mid summer.

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
This is mine.
Deadwood is soft and rots quickly.
Strong live veins / root-branch connections.
Wiring best done on soft shoots.
Likes a deepish pot to keep roots damp.

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've got a real small one from nursery material nothing compared as the examples shown above

IMG_20190730_212741.jpg

Thread on it is found here:

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Potentilla was one of my initial efforts. I harvested a chunk of a plant that was (guessing) at 20+ years old while relocating it in our garden. This (below) is about as good as it got. I tired of it, tried to chop it, and wound up tossing it (I've chopped established ones in the ground and they respond well, but this thing did not). They are very reluctant to thicken stems, IMO. But they do present several flushes of flowers through the growing season.

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Top Bottom