Who is able to identify this satsuki azalea?

Linn01

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Dear fellow forum members,

Got this one for free at a nursery, or to be more accurate the two pretty women who accompanied me, received it as a gift.

Since I was in a hurry, I only remember the remark that the cultivar is named 'geisha'.

I cannot find any info on this cultivar.

Who can help me out?

IMG_20230511_193840.jpgIMG_20230511_193831.jpg

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Probably ''Geisha Karminrot' aka 'Noriko'. Actually, the colour doesn't seem right. But there are a few that are single flower and smaller. This range is common in BeNe(probably Lux and Ge too).

"One of the first hybridisers with Japanese azaleas was Georg Arends. His goal was to get very floriferous and hardy new hybrids, that could withstand the cold German winters. So he used ‘Hinodegiri’, ‘Hatsugiri’, ‘Benegiri’ R. kaempferi and ‘Noordtania’ to cross with. His first crosses were not very successful, but F2 crosses looked better. Then the WW1 came, and in this period the plants\seedlings were not taken care of and many died. After the war the best, toughest and hardiest ones were selected and brought into trade. In 1926 they were showed on one of these enormous plant exhibitions in Dresden in eastern Germany. Many people were very enthusiastic about these new azaleas. They were mostly named for rivers in the ‘Sauerland’ in Germany, where he lived. Like ‘Agger’, ‘Diemel’, ‘Eder’, ‘Neye’, ‘Sorpe’ etc.

Another hybrid from unknown origin ‘Multiflorum’ was very hardy and often used in further hybridisations. For instance by his son Werner, who introduced nice new and hardy hybrids between 1950 and 1960. He called them all with Japanese names like ‘Fumiko’, or ‘Hiroko’; and every name had a second name like ‘Geisha dark pink’, or ‘Geisha orange\red’. These names should not be confused with the Glen Dale hybrid ‘Geisha’."

Source: https://www.rhodoland.nl/articles.en.htm

Top Bottom