Who knows a potter in the US that can make a really good rectangle?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I need a bigger rectangle about 17-18” wide which a lot of potters have trouble with. Who would you recommend?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was just talking with the much more easier to summon here than on FB @aml1014 about tipping bigguns sideways.

Unglazed should be easy, glazed more difficult but that's just a need for solutions.

My @barrosinc rectangle size now sitting flat is about 14x10...

I have to get My WP rectangle fired before the end of next week..
And I think the Wireme rectangle will dry soon enough to also see that load......

When you see that Wireme joint......

Awe shit! Even the Sorceress likes it!

Should serve as an excellent representation of what a Sorcemission pot IS.

Crazy Excited!o_O

Sorce

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I was just talking with the much more easier to summon here than on FB @aml1014 about tipping bigguns sideways.

Unglazed should be easy, glazed more difficult but that's just a need for solutions.

My @barrosinc rectangle size now sitting flat is about 14x10...

I have to get My WP rectangle fired before the end of next week..
And I think the Wireme rectangle will dry soon enough to also see that load......

When you see that Wireme joint......

Awe shit! Even the Sorceress likes it!

Should serve as an excellent representation of what a Sorcemission pot IS.

Crazy Excited!o_O

Sorce
Good for you to throw them at that size already. On a side not, I really wish there were more American Potters throwing unglazed pots. Everyone seems to be trying to outdo each others glazes. I mean, I get it but let's not forget those unglazed pots. Just sayin'.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Randy Doughty does some unglazed, and he will do custom work. He also does big pots. bent pine pottery on etsy

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Dale Chacoy makes some pretty nice slab sided pots, some of them pretty big with good design. I believe he is/was a member of this forum.
He's a nice guy too. (You spelled his last name wrong...but it is tricky) his name is on my list too. Met him in person when we took a road trip to get a baby groundhog into rehabilitation until it could be released. His wife works there. ? his pots are amazing! I keep looking for a size appropriate pot that would look good with a tree of mine. I was on an anniversary getaway...the road trip unplanned...so, I didn't get to go back to his place. But we have intentions of us going back to see his stuff. Seeing his pots first hand...I can not imagine coming home without something.

Dale's Facebook business wall...https://www.facebook.com/WildThingsBonsaiStudio/?fref=ts

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Everyone seems to be trying to outdo each others glazes. I mean, I get it but let's not forget those unglazed

You hear my choir...preacher!?

I am settling into an unglazed phase right now and Damn....

Yeah....all the unglazed pots it seems are Japanese... Some killer. But most of the same rather boring "we get the seconds" stuff.

Almost as if we are pushing a "its ok to use a glazed pot for a conifer".....
No .... No its not.....not even a matte glaze.
Wood, soda, gas reduction....sometimes....

But yeah....I'm trying to get to this simpler, subdued, dark, plain, form.....

I keep thinking about @chicago1980 junipers....

Trees that just absolutely don't need
..shit....a pot at all! Letting alone something that is going to hold your eye....

@Vin a week or so ago...I know...I do this to you all the time. Only you!
But you said something like...."Stickroot knows about how picky I am with pots"

Are you referring to the pairing of?

Or the build of?

Sorce

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Yeah....all the unglazed pots it seems are Japanese... Some killer. But most of the same rather boring "we get the seconds" stuff.

..shit....a pot at all! Letting alone something that is going to hold your eye....

Or the build of?

Sorce
Well, to be quite frank, I don't give a shit about pairing. If it looks good, pot it. I'm picky about proper construction and finish. If the finish is meant to be imperfect (which is much harder to pull off) then it needs to be "naturally" imperfect. If the finish is meant to be a fine finish, then there better not be imperfections. I know, I know, I'm a pain in the ass.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score

Or the build of?

Sorce
Before you get too settled into your unglazed phase, hmmm, my pot. I understand some trees call for an unglazed pot and some people prefer them. To each his own. The particular tree I want it for, wants to be glazed.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm a pain in the ass.

To be quite honest.....
I'm getting better at timing, and understanding how and when tools work to perfect different parts...
Having a wicked idea fall short because the boiler turns on and shit starts drying faster blah blah blah....

That....is a pain in the ass....

Knowing that it is what it takes to make you a pot you will love....
Makes it much less of a pain in the ass!

But by summer when the basement stays consistent....and my skillhand sharpens....

Done!

Me personally.......

I love how a simple, clean, unnoticed pot makes a tree great.....

But I also love very tree specific pots.......

Oh...Damn....

I am so sorry I have not been in touch with you.....I have this "Bonsai Idea" of we can wait forever! Sorry for that!
I am nearing that point where I almost could/should have made others so that I had one done already...but I committed to personalizing it and I can't screw it up!

I have every intention of getting it in next week! That is....if I can commit to excellence!

Tomorrow I open the latest glaze fore for the most recent idea of how to achieve perfection!

I will force patience on you no longer!

Bloody hell!

When do we talk about how I pulled up to Cass to see the "appointment only" sign in the front....and Damn if that 3in snowchunk ice storm didn't force all Sundays baseball into Saturday...so we didn't have time for anything! Argh.

Sorce

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
To be quite honest.....
I'm getting better at timing, and understanding how and when tools work to perfect different parts...
Having a wicked idea fall short because the boiler turns on and shit starts drying faster blah blah blah....

That....is a pain in the ass....

Knowing that it is what it takes to make you a pot you will love....
Makes it much less of a pain in the ass!

But by summer when the basement stays consistent....and my skillhand sharpens....

Done!

Me personally.......

I love how a simple, clean, unnoticed pot makes a tree great.....

But I also love very tree specific pots.......

Oh...Damn....

Sorce
I often use the quote "if it was easy everyone would be doing it". I think the trick to great pottery is when you can master all those pains in the asses and nobody knows what they were; they are just enamored by the craftsmanship and the beauty of pot that beholds them...

Top Bottom