Who says you can't mix business and Bonsai?

Robert E Holt

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
OK, I'm on business travel in Melbourne, Fl this week. My wife andIi drove down last night (12 drive :confused:). Today my wife wanted to drive to Stuart, Fl while we were here, so I used the opportunity to go to "Dragon Tree Bonsai" (I couldn't find Old Florida Bonsai). I'm sure some of you who have been to Brussels or others wouldn't think twice about it, but for a newby it was overwhelming. I was so excited I even forgot to take pictures:eek: I was like a kid in a candy store. I have never seen so many trees grown specifically for Bonsai. Only two problems; I'm gonna be in a hotel for the next week and we didn't bring a big enough car. I did manage to snag some Japanese pots (I'll try to take pictures with my phone and post) and settled for a single tree. But I could have bought a dozen and at his prices it wouldn't have broke the bank. If only I had more room.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm headed to Orlando and ft. Meyer's next year, I plan on renting an suv just because I know I'm gonna come home with several large specimens. I can't wait to have that feeling of a kid in a candy store, I've never been to an actually bonsai nursery.

Robert E Holt

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here are some pictures of the pots I picked up yesterday. The pictures aren't great, I took them in the back of the rental SUV with my phone.

This one was the most expensive one I bought. I have an Azalea that has a couple of naturally cascading branches, I hope it is suitable. I'm not sure why I liked it, but I just couldn't walk away.

20151011_082924.jpg 20151011_082924.jpg 20151011_082941.jpg 20151011_082948.jpg 20151011_083014.jpg

Robert E Holt

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The others are a bit more plain.

20151011_083053.jpg
A simi-cascade? It also has a tray.
20151011_083235.jpg

And a couple smaller pots
20151011_083143.jpg
20151011_083152.jpg

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I like the mossy trunk :)

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
You're gonna have a chance to root a lot of cuttings from that when you start styling it. Nice score.

Robert E Holt

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You're gonna have a chance to root a lot of cuttings from that when you start styling it. Nice score.

I was thinking the same thing. Might actually be two now. That "branch" on the left is buried in the soul and has probably rooted already.I haven't messed with it yet. I don't want to upset anything g till I can get it home.

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Glad you enjoyed Dragontree. Robert Pinder is a gentleman and a scholar. I need to make my way out to his place again sometime soon, just a bit of a drive.

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I thought mixing business and bonsai was the only reason to volunteer for road jobs. The trick is convincing your boss that the receipt from the nursery is actually from a sushi restaurant when you submit your expense report. ;)

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I frequently would tack a vacation day or two onto the end of a business trip. Paid my own way on the extra days, but the company didn't beef about the travel. Great way to see places you would not normally make a destination if air fare was coming out of your own pocket.

The pots are nice. Its good to have a collection of pots to choose from, then when a tree comes along, you might have a pot you can use.

While on the road don't worry about giving the tree sun. Just keep it watered. Don't leave it in a locked car parked in the sun. Cars heat up, same warnings for pets in cars apply to trees in cars. Trees may forgive a little more heat than a dog, but not much more. Only up side, PETA & SPCA won't pickett your if you kill a tree in it.

tt

Robert E Holt

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I frequently would tack a vacation day or two onto the end of a business trip. Paid my own way on the extra days, but the company didn't beef about the travel. Great way to see places you would not normally make a destination if air fare was coming out of your own pocket.

The pots are nice. Its good to have a collection of pots to choose from, then when a tree comes along, you might have a pot you can use.

While on the road don't worry about giving the tree sun. Just keep it watered. Don't leave it in a locked car parked in the sun. Cars heat up, same warnings for pets in cars apply to trees in cars. Trees may forgive a little more heat than a dog, but not much more. Only up side, PETA & SPCA won't pickett your if you kill a tree in it.

tt

I have done the same for years. My wife is with me on this trip. Together we have seen London, New Castle and Paris. Mostly at company expense (in one case even her ticket was paid for with frequent flyer points). In Paris we got to stay an extra 3 or 4 days because I had a meeting the following week in Bristol with the MOD. It's a nice perk.

Top Bottom