Who's doing the bonsai two step

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I moved everything in because it has been unseasonably chilly and windy. BUT, next week is supposed to be back in the mid to high 70's, with lows in the high 50's. Is one more week outside that beneficial, or is it more stressful moving the tress back and forth?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I moved everything in because it has been unseasonably chilly and windy. BUT, next week is supposed to be back in the mid to high 70's, with lows in the high 50's. Is one more week outside that beneficial, or is it more stressful moving the tress back and forth?

I won't do the "dance". Earlier in the week we had one morning at 39F but the rest of the week was predicted and has been 50F + at night. That cold day I moved in the most delicate plants and they will remain in until Spring. Some plants will sometimes drop foliage like Ficus and Serrisa just moving them so I am guessing they would be more prone to do so if taken in and out several times. I still have more to bring in but they are types that need to be 45ish and one 35ish for a few nights before I need to. Even those will come inside once and remain so until spring. No that is just me in this area and I am certain many do a lot of different things.

Grimmy

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How come no one just does a large window facing south or west with triple pane technology and styro [ foam ] insulation?
Used in Denmark, you can heat a room with a candle.
Plus do you really need to grow over 6" tall, and a window larger than 3 to 4' long ?

I see all these questions and wonder where the technology went ?????
Good Day
Anthony

* Plus fluorescent lighting is proven to work, and for years.

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I am staying in SE PA (Wyomissing) and my buttonwood (Conocapus erectus) is still outside. We have had a few chilly nights and the last couple days it has been cloudy and rainy and in the 50s and 60s, perfect for me but I am worried my buttonwood might rot if I am lulled into keeping it outside until the nights get cold later this coming month.

It actually looks as healthy so far as it did in FL. Maybe it wanted to escape the inferno too?

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
How come no one just does a large window facing south or west with triple pane technology and styro [ foam ] insulation?
Used in Denmark, you can heat a room with a candle.
Plus do you really need to grow over 6" tall, and a window larger than 3 to 4' long ?

I see all these questions and wonder where the technology went ?????
Good Day
Anthony

* Plus fluorescent lighting is proven to work, and for years.
I wonder where that technology went too.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've brought the trops inside for 2 cold nights (one got down to 38 F) but they're back outside...with mild weather for at least the next week or so in the forecast. I'm thinking next time they have to come in they may stay for good. We'll see.

JohnnyFive

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I installed a heater in my little greenhouse just so I wouldn't have to do the shuffle, and when winter nights get below 20 I kick it on for my hardy trees as well. I couldn't imagine putting my tropicals inside right now. it's essentially 2nd spring right now in there.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Next weekend the BRT will come in, and the olive if it gets low enough. Everything else will wait to go in the cold greenhouse for a while.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Haven't moved anything yet, shuffled around bunch last year...
Not doing it this year... picked up some fluorescent lights yesterday.
Gonna mount em up, and bring em in in a few weeks.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thinking of bringing the ficus and BRT in very soon (this week). Temps are still ok but I know they won't be much longer and don't really want to do in and out, in and out each day assuming the temps will be high enough so I can put them out in the mornings before work.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ahhhhh....reminds me why all my trees are native to my area and remain outdoors in all conditions from +95 degrees F.....to -20 degrees F. Hardy trees
I'm with your. I'll think about moving trees just before Thanksgiving.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
They make cool reflective gear for dogs too. The way dogs move around you'd be spotted quicker. Just a thought for your safety. Early morning walking is fabulous.
Thanks for the suggestion. Spoke to a friend in the UK that deals with a lot of mud. Thought to get something for fall/winter that would keep the muck from the cinders placed on our roads off her as well. Ordered this...but sadly...won't be taking any more walks in the dark or even dusk...a sex offender a tier 3 moved in on the opposite side of our wooded lots. So...must use wisdom. He's the probation officer that raped one of his women who he was in charge of...Lovely.

Not a permanent resident...moved in with the Australian who trains dogs and is having one trained for him. Board members are having a fit. There is a bylaw that homes are a single family dwelling. This one breaks the bylaws by just being there. So...I see them trying to get him gone soon. My take...he won't be here long. Let him get his dog trained and move on. It's a temporary housing situation. Which had the men up in arms I said that...and reminded me that they didn't see me out walking in the dark. So he must bother me. One uses wisdom...but other than that he's not keeping me bound to my house. The one guy said his wife can't drive the golf cart around...I think that foolish. Carry pepper spray...but don't hide away.

Anyways...this does have a reflector area. And...I'm hoping by summer we will be walking in the dark again.

Attachments

• Hurtta_slsch_combat_suit_measuring_pic.jpg
    Hurtta_slsch_combat_suit_measuring_pic.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 3

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
On another note...I need to organize the cold greenhouse...The tray the thuja planting sits on is currently being used for something else. Looking forward to just tinkering in there. Fall is still going to remain for awhile though...

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Getting a string of 80s/60s so I guess I two stepped a few back out this week.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
:eek::eek: bone dry down here,

Where's the rain ? ...................... every time there is a Hurricane, we go to fair weather.
Full moon and no rain -------- what's next ---- bucket a drop and maybe an earthquake.

One of these days Trinidad is going to rise 6000 feet into the air, the entire island.
Then we will become mild Temperate:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Rain, rain come today, but gentle and long.
This we pray.
Good Day from the desert.
Anthony

* Trees have no problems, and the fustics have been fixed.:):cool::cool:

Top Bottom