Why are bonsai so expensive?

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I watched that video several days ago. What I find so interesting is when she says she starts the material to pass it on to the next generation to continue it on. That's truly a passion to prepare something today to leave it for the next generation.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I watched that video several days ago. What I find so interesting is when she says she starts the material to pass it on to the next generation to continue it on. That's truly a passion to prepare something today to leave it for the next generation.
Yeah, it’s a different concept than the “I want to be the only person that’s ever touched this tree, or else it ain’t mine” attitude.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I hope I don't sound too woo woo here, but I love watching this lady work. She truly shows genuine love in her every motion. A lesson here for all of us no matter how much a beginner or a pro.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Good video!

Well done, even though i may never finish, i still prefer to create my own Bonsai, but i must admit that it is much more rewarding working with Yamadori. Appreciate her point that the result must face scrutiny in order to hold value! Also appreciate the opportunity to work on previous generations material. She is very correct on the scarcity of excellent material!

ysrgrathe

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Well done, even though i may never finish, i still prefer to create my own Bonsai, but i must admit that it is much more rewarding working with Yamadori. Appreciate her point that the result must face scrutiny in order to hold value! Also appreciate the opportunity to work on previous generations material. She is very correct on the scarcity of excellent material!

I'm glad there are people like you creating the raw material for the next generations of bonsai students.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Folks,

seriously, don't fall for another scam.
Bonsai are mostly worth what you are willing to pay for it.

As more and more folk master trunk thickening, reality will
set in.

The problem is when you perceive yourself to be old.
Good Day
Anthony - proud to be practical and therefore cheap in the HOBBY.

Reactions: SU2

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Anyone pick on the fact she's a SHE...I don't know how common that is in Japan. Bonsai there is pretty much a man's thing...Good for her.
I was thinking in a similar fashion but did not speak because I wasn't really certain. Makes her all the more credible.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Folks,

seriously, don't fall for another scam.
Bonsai are mostly worth what you are willing to pay for it.

As more and more folk master trunk thickening, reality will
set in.

The problem is when you perceive yourself to be old.
Good Day
Anthony - proud to be practical and therefore cheap in the HOBBY.
Anthony, go back and re-read this thread. Compare your comments to all the others.

Now... can you see why so many people consider you to be a troll??? Your wealth envy is obvious. And unattractive. The irony is, any of us can create “bonsai wealth” by carefully tending our trees over the long term.

And while the title of the video says “expensive”, which implies value in terms of money, the theme of the video speaks to the time and effort, manhours, that go into the creation and maintenance of bonsai over years and decades. Consistently applied manhours. Because as we all know neglecting a bonsai for even a short period can ruin or even kill it.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Anthony, go back and re-read this thread. Compare your comments to all the others.

Now... can you see why so many people consider you to be a troll??? Your wealth envy is obvious. And unattractive. The irony is, any of us can create “bonsai wealth” by carefully tending our trees over the long term.

And while the title of the video says “expensive”, which implies value in terms of money, the theme of the video speaks to the time and effort, manhours, that go into the creation and maintenance of bonsai over years and decades. Consistently applied manhours. Because as we all know neglecting a bonsai for even a short period can ruin or even kill it.

Anthony has made many posts on thriftiness but has never said he is poor, I don’t think it’s wealth envy.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a set-up Topic.

My caution is - save your money,
Take classes in pottery. Grow from seed/seedling / cuttting.
Learn trunk fattening.
Figure out simple soils.

Remember Sifu [ Adair ] I also used to deal in Antiques
back in the 1990's.

Try not to get scammed.
Anthony [ under the bridge as the goats cross :-} ]

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is a set-up Topic.

My caution is - save your money,
Take classes in pottery. Grow from seed/seedling / cuttting.
Learn trunk fattening.
Figure out simple soils.

Remember Sifu [ Adair ] I also used to deal in Antiques
back in the 1990's.

Try not to get scammed.
Anthony [ under the bridge as the goats cross :-} ]
Antiques? Then you know about how age and rarity affects price.

Sure, the price of ANYTHING is set by those willing to pay for it. I can price a bonsai at $50,000, but if no one is willing to pay that, it isn’t “worth” $50,000.

Can you practice bonsai thriftfully? Sure! My friend Jeremiah Lee collected a Sierra juniper himself, carried it out of the mountain, brought it home, nurtured it, styled it, repotted it, and displayed it in the National Exhibition where it won two major awards, all over a period of about 8 years!

Here’s the tree, photo taken from the 2018 show book:

E3114C5B-9A52-44E3-9C9B-7A0F1F2180A8.jpeg

His cost to produce that tree is minimal: a collection permit, gasoline to the mountains and back, some hiking gear, some wood to build boxes, pumice, he owned a training pit, he borrowed the show pot and stand.

The value of that tree?

You tell me.

Anthony, I didn’t start this thread to “set up” anything. You set yourself up.

I’m just saying that established bonsai represent a lot of work, time, devotion of the people who create and maintain them. The only way to compensate someone for that is with money. (Or trade of something comparable in return.)

Attachments

• D3ED0E91-4F82-4F93-8341-3A5316C7C5EC.jpeg
    D3ED0E91-4F82-4F93-8341-3A5316C7C5EC.jpeg
    231.3 KB · Views: 0

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Yeah, it’s a different concept than the “I want to be the only person that’s ever touched this tree, or else it ain’t mine” attitude.

That'd be my attitude. Mainly as a defensive thing, because nobody wants to touch them right now. But in 20 or 30 years, oh boy! I'll have to put up an electric fence for at least one out of the 142 I own. At least, that's my goal. Small steps..

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I had seen that video posted...but hadn't the time to view it until now. I figured...it has to be worth my time. Adair shared it. (Seen it passed along on FB.) Anyways...anyone notice she didn't use gloves when applying sphagnum moss? I know ones here stress to do so.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For better or for worse I don't use gloves. Perhaps I should as I have heard the warnings. I am in no way defending my position, I just don't wear gloves unless it is cold or I am working with sharp rocks. I have been using long fiber sphagnum moss for layering, orchid potting and bonsai for close to 50 years. Am I lucky or stupid, don't know.

Top Bottom