Why are Masakuni tools so expensive?

EverydayDiesel

Sapling
Reaction score
Hello, I am no stranger to having good tools (most of my hands tools are snapon) however I was curious why Masakuni tools are so substantially higher then the competition.

Is there a difference?

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Those who fork over the hundreds of dollars extra it costs to get some might say yes... The rest of us scoff and say "I will stick with my cheap Ebay tools hat rust and need to be replaced every five years, bend when I use them and go dull after a couple cuts"... JK

Seriously- Kaneshin tools are super high quality IMO and don't cost half what your average Masakuni does... You can order straight from the factory or get them from a guy named QBonsai I think here..

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
While I admit- compared to most Masakuni I have seen listed, that is a cheap price for their tools.. But still, The Masakuni you posted just happen to be on sale over $40 off the regular price, and the JR pruners are full price with free shipping... So, ON SALE, they are still $20 more?

These are the sticker shock Masakuni prices I think the OP was referring to:
http://www.dallasbonsai.com/tools/traditional/masakuni.html
Right out the gate: three different pruning shears $556 EACH!!! Gatdawg! On down the page they want $741 for some SHEARS!

I cannot say I know what causes such a dramatic difference in price, but this is insane!

Ceijay

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I'm so glad someone made this thread.

Do I really need to fork over that much money for some dumb ole clippers? I totally get that they are really nice and super fancy but seriously???

Can't I just buy the cheapest tools I can get my hands on and use them till they go bad or need resharpening? I could buy a nice little bonsai for the same amount they want for some clippers.

When I saw they wanted over $700 for just one tool I immediately thought of this lol.

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Just like anything, super high quality should cost more. Not all Masakuni are that expensive compared with others. However they offer different levels or different quality tools including super custom stuff at Masakuni. Some want to buy a custom high end sports car, others want a lexus and some are happy with their 98 accord. I've been really happy with the quality of Kaneshin as well. You can buy Kaneshin on Ebay for a good price. I've got about 50/50 Masakuni/Kaneshin tools now.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
While I admit- compared to most Masakuni I have seen listed, that is a cheap price for their tools.. But still, The Masakuni you posted just happen to be on sale over $40 off the regular price, and the JR pruners are full price with free shipping... So, ON SALE, they are still $20 more?

These are the sticker shock Masakuni prices I think the OP was referring to:
http://www.dallasbonsai.com/tools/traditional/masakuni.html
Right out the gate: three different pruning shears $556 EACH!!! Gatdawg! On down the page they want $741 for some SHEARS!

I cannot say I know what causes such a dramatic difference in price, but this is insane!

California Bonsai always has a sale going on - I've purchased from them many times and almost always on sale. And yes, it's $20 more - they are more expensive to be sure. Just not double the price. The Masakuni tools you linked at Dallas bonsai are their "luxury" series - they have the hand finish and are quite a bit more expensive than the regular Masakuni tools. The regular models with the machine finish are fine tools and quite a bit less expensive. For example:

https://www.californiabonsai.com/product/no-1-bonsai-shear/
http://www.dallasbonsai.com/product-p/m101.htm

No. 101 is basically the same as No. 1 except for the hand finish and the gold letters.

My only point is that Masakuni tools can be had for prices that are not particularly outlandish in comparison to other high-end tools. They tend to be more a bit more, to be sure, but you don't have to spend $600 or $700 to have them unless the golden letters and the fine finish are really important to you. Nor do you have to have Masakuni to have good quality tools, but you can be sure that they are high quality tools if you purchase them. California Bonsai has good prices on Masakuni in comparison to other on-line retailers, but you might check with user Q-Bonsai on this site as to his prices on Masakuni before you pull the trigger on an expensive purchase.

Scott

Last edited:

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
I'm so glad someone made this thread.

Do I really need to fork over that much money for some dumb ole clippers? I totally get that they are really nice and super fancy but seriously???

Can't I just buy the cheapest tools I can get my hands on and use them till they go bad or need resharpening? I could buy a nice little bonsai for the same amount they want for some clippers

It depends also what you are using it for, if you only have saplings there is no need for good material but once you get some bigger stuff and use them a lot you will understand that the throw away scisors is only ment for 1 thing, throw away

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Kaneshin for me.

Straight from Japan.

Lexus.

Sorce

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I always think of steak during this kind of discussion. When eating out, a $40 steak is likely much better than a $20 steak (because you get Bernaise, and they know what the heck medium-rare means ;)). However, a $60 steak may not be much/any better than the $40 one - past a certain point you are paying for atmosphere (and name). There's usually a sweet spot, up to which more money often = better, and beyond which more money = diminishing returns.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I always think of steak during this kind of discussion. When eating out, a $40 steak is likely much better than a $20 steak (because you get Bernaise, and they know what the heck medium-rare means ;)). However, a $60 steak may not be much/any better than the $40 one - past a certain point you are paying for atmosphere (and name). There's usually a sweet spot, up to which more money often = better, and beyond which more money = diminishing returns.

Absolutely true. And in the end, that sweet spot is different for different people. For the life of me I can't fathom why people would care what tools others choose to spend their money on. Especially for something whose cost difference is measured in tens of dollars for a tool that lasts for decades, not for an evening out like a steak. Even if I cared how people spent their money, the cost difference on tools couldn't be more irrelevant when you spread it over a lifetime of use. I plan on living a REALLY long time, too.

Scott

Ceijay

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I wonder if Mechanics talk about their tools the way we do? Who makes the best Mechanics Tools: Snap-On, Matco, Mac, Craftsman, KD or Harbor Freight (had to throw that one in there for a laugh)?

They absolutely do and the correct answer is Craftsman...according to my father lol.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
They absolutely do and the correct answer is Craftsman...according to my father lol.

Yeesh - I don't know why anyone would waste their money on a set of Craftsman tools when everyone knows that Stanley could be had for like 1/2 the price. Do I really need to fork over that much on a dumb screwdriver? Tell your dad he's just paying for the name. You know, with the money he'd have saved on tools if he went with Stanley, he could probably afford a nice toolbox to store them in. :)

Scott

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
2 secrets - in 1980 - the Concave pruner from Masakuni was $20.00 US
Secondly, you only need a concave pruner, and Amazon has for 11.00$ US and you wrap your tools in an oil rag.
Good Day
Anthony

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Secondly, you only need a concave pruner, and Amazon has for 11.00$ US and you wrap your tools in an oil rag.
Good Day
Anthony

$95 today is $30 in 1980 dollars.

Scott

Ceijay

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Yeesh - I don't know why anyone would waste their money on a set of Craftsman tools when everyone knows that Stanley could be had for like 1/2 the price. Do I really need to fork over that much on a dumb screwdriver? Tell your dad he's just paying for the name. You know, with the money he'd have saved on tools if he went with Stanley, he could probably afford a nice toolbox to store them in. :)

Scott

It was only a joke really. My father has been an electrician and a carpenter for over 30 years so I would assume he knows what he likes at point. Also Stanley is not on your original list of brands. There pretty much the same price too. I'll pass along your advice though I'm sure it will tickle him. :)

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Good Day
Anthony
I think you need a bit more the just a concave cutter, a good wire cutter is important too. Sure you could use a normal one from the hardware store but good luck using that for removing wire without damaging the branches. I have a masakuni one, bought it secondhand so it was very cheap, probably not as sharp as it used to be but still works more then good enough, its not just the sharpness thats important.
This one is long and small to reach easily between branches, and designed so you dont damage the branches when you cut the wire

Top Bottom