Why are Yew dying on me ???

Treefer

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
FWIW, I have 7 landscape yews along my driveway, approx 50 yo. Last fall two on the end began browning so I began researching. Normal lifespan for an in ground yew is 400 yrs, so the problem is not age. They are highly resistant to pests and disease. About the only thing that will kill them is TOO MUCH WATER which can also lead to a contagous root fungus. The two died over winter and I had them removed this spring. The next two are now browning. I suspect l will lose them all, one after another. :confused:

The planting conditions have not changed over 50 yrs except for normal soil compaction. Check your substrate and make sure it is STILL draining well.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
FWIW, I have 7 landscape yews along my driveway, approx 50 yo. Last fall two on the end began browning so I began researching. Normal lifespan for an in ground yew is 400 yrs, so the problem is not age. They are highly resistant to pests and disease. About the only thing that will kill them is TOO MUCH WATER which can also lead to a contagous root fungus. The two died over winter and I had them removed this spring. The next two are now browning. I suspect l will lose them all, one after another. :confused:

The planting conditions have not changed over 50 yrs except for normal soil compaction. Check your substrate and make sure it is STILL draining well.
Thank you, the tree was repotted in its first bonsai pot last spring in akadama/pumice and lava rocks so I dont think drainage is a problem. I am now leaning the styling in the winter time is the culprit.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
It’s been dead long time ago bro lol … RIP… Yew are missed.

Top Bottom