Why are Yew dying on me ???

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
My yew was fine untill a couple months ago when it turns yellow and now it’s spreading, this was a super healthy tree that got its first styling over the winter. I have no idea what’s going on but I would like to save it if possible. Any inputs is greatly appreciated. Thanks 14C0DD3F-1512-4974-846C-B795336686F7.jpeg7D3F0E6F-74D1-4EBF-80E1-7DE1F4DB9952.jpeg

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Have you been keeping it in full sun? Is that deadwood part of the tree or is it a tanuki?

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
No it is not in full sun, but its been there for almost 2 years. The dead wood is part of the tree.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Did you leave it out in your garden unprotected all winter and did you get some below freezing temperatures for a few days?

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
If what the others said is not true. I would water in some worm castings and use some good kelp emulsion at half strength. Like homemade chicken soup when you have a cold.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Did you leave it out in your garden unprotected all winter and did you get some below freezing temperatures for a few days?
I always leave it out unprotected all winter as I have in the past, I have other yews in much smaller pots and they were fine, including a shohin'ish size one, Yew are very cold hardy so I don't believe frost was a problem for this particular tree even though this winter was colder than previous. Thank you.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
If what the others said is not true. I would water in some worm castings and use some good kelp emulsion at half strength. Like homemade chicken soup when you have a cold.
Thank you.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would suspect roots, but you say that it was doing fine, until ..

a couple months ago when it turns yellow and now it’s spreading

got its first styling over the winter

🤔

Leaf yellowing is primarily a life process, so there is still hope.

IMHO, do as @Cofga suggests and pray that buds pop new foliage (soon-ish). The buds were formed last fall, so throwing fertilizer at it won't do anything beneficial (whereas, if they do, it will help make yet another set of buds when applied this summer).

Else, I think you will be watching the process of it going tits up.
Either way, you get an education. Learn from it.

BTW, keep posting. I'd like to learn from it too.

[edit] I forgot to ask if it is firmly wired into the pot - no wobble / can lift the works by the trunk without the nebari raising

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I would suspect roots, but you say that it was doing fine, until ..

🤔

Leaf yellowing is primarily a life process, so there is still hope.

IMHO, do as @Cofga suggests and pray that buds pop new foliage (soon-ish). The buds were formed last fall, so throwing fertilizer at it won't do anything beneficial (whereas, if they do, it will help make yet another set of buds when applied this summer).

Else, I think you will be watching the process of it going tits up.
Either way, you get an education. Learn from it.

BTW, keep posting. I'd like to learn from it too.

[edit] I forgot to ask if it is firmly wired into the pot - no wobble / can lift the works by the trunk without the nebari raising
The styling was done around Thanksgiving and I noticed the yellowing occurred around mid Feb. Started at the crown and now its spreading all over. The tree is huge (probably 3 foot tall) and the pot maybe 32 inch so we made sure that it was firmly held in place so I dont think wobbly would be an issue. Thank you for your inputs.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think Yew are both really smart and really don't care to live.

Any chance of a more in-depth backstory, with some pics and story of the others?
Like...really detailed story?

I am absolutely convinced that Yew have a mission to shade their trunks.
Show me a Yew in nature with a bare trunk and you'll have shown me a place with no direct sun.
Everywhere I look this phenomenon is true.

So I reckon your Yew may have calculated it's inability to do so and gave up.

Perhaps though this is combined with an off styling time. Assuming there was pruning done upon styling.
Thanksgiving could be early here, reckon moreso there.

What is it acting like, dormancy wise, compared to other things?

Sorce

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks like styling and wiring did this tree in, might have been weak before the styling

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
How much branching n foliage was removed? How much bending?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I always leave it out unprotected all winter as I have in the past, I have other yews in much smaller pots and they were fine, including a shohin'ish size one, Yew are very cold hardy so I don't believe frost was a problem for this particular tree even though this winter was colder than previous. Thank you.

Yes Yew are very cold hardy BUT when you put something in a pot, it isnt as cold hardy.
If the pot froze for an extended period of time (couple of weeks or so) the wind could cause the kind of damage you are seeing. It looks like it didnt get enough water which would seem odd in the winter where we typically see more precipitation. The needles got desiccated by the cold wind.

I had this happen to a scots pine, which is just as cold hardy than yew if not more so. The pot froze for 3 weeks and the needles lost water and/or didnt get water and they dried out. You could tell they were dried out because there were curled and looked thinner than normal.

I hope it recovers for you. My scots pine did survive but it looked like hell for a year.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Along with a possible root issue, I would consider the styling also. How much bending and leverage did you use on the branching? Forceful bending can produce small splits in bark that may go unnoticed. They may also be numerous enough to interrupt sap flow. Done in fall, with winter cold coming on, might have allowed those splits to dry out...

Worth considering as the tree didn't get winter protection after the work.

At this point, wait to see if the tree pushes new buds as suggested. It may mend on its own. If no new buds pop by mid-May, you may have to pull the tree to have a look at the roots...

Carkybones

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm in a similar location and my Japanese yew has buds that are just starting to swell. Last year, in early April, it had shoots extending everywhere. Things seem to be popping later this year. There is still hope.

BonsaiMatt

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not much of a mystery - styled in late November with no winter protection from freezing…

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck…..
This 100%

Weak trees need more winter protection compared to a fully healthy specimen. This includes all weak trees, recently repotted, recently styled, diseased trees etc.

Still might bounce back though, we've had a slow spring here in the DMV, so I wouldn't give up on it yet.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Most often cause of needle yellowing of yews out here is wet feet.

My first impression was rough handling when bending. Yet I note some sections that weren’t bent yellowing.

Doesn‘t look like winter burn, yet you did bend a lot of branches.

So I’m left wondering about the media type, length of time in the pot, lots of winter watering/rain and … check drain holes for clogging!

If all above is decent, chock up one side of the pot to lower the water table… watch the watering and wait. Yews are remarkably tough, given a fair chance.

Good Luck!
DSD sends

Top Bottom