Why do all these leaves have burnt /eaten looking tips?

bonsainewbeeee

Seedling
Reaction score
HI,
I received these dawn redwood recently from an online shop. Why do all these leaves have burnt /eaten looking tips?

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_20200912_123652.jpg
    IMG_20200912_123652.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20200912_123659.jpg
    IMG_20200912_123659.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 58

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Let us know your location - it will help with general advice!

Your dawn redwood looks a little beaten up, but that might be a function of the stress of shipping as much as anything, particularly if the tree was being grown in a protected environment like a greenhouse. The damage I am seeing appears to be physical.

A couple of comments:
(1) make sure you don't rot the roots. It appears that you are keeping the tree in a tray of standing water. Unless you are keeping a semi-aquatic tree like a bald cypress, you need to make sure that your soil does not become saturated. Roots need oxygen to survive, and if you soak the soil continuously, your tree roots will die (and so will the tree)
(2) don't forget that dawn redwood is a deciduous tree and needs four seasons. They are cold hardy down to Zone 4 (think southern Minnesota), and I don't think they will survive without a hard cold dormancy. I see them planted here in the landscape in North Carolina, but I don't think they will live further south.

bonsainewbeeee

Seedling
Reaction score
Im in London, uk at the moment.
I just watered the plants before taking the photo haha.

The root ball is quite intense and roots are actually growing out of the pot. Its autumn here and I read that it is a bad time to repot. Do you reckon I just wait until spring, despite the roots growing out of the pot?

Thank you!!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's likly to gt wors if kpt insid.

Sorc

Maw

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
let it only get direct morning sun. Place it in the shade in the afternoon! They love that. And you need a bigger pot(colander) with good draining soil. You can do a slip pot. If you do it very carefully!

Top Bottom