Why do cutting tools have the nub?

DrTolhur

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Branch cutters and knob cutters seem to all have a little metal nub right next to the rivet. Why? What's the purpose of that?

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Branch cutters and knob cutters seem to all have a little metal nub right next to the rivet. Why? What's the purpose of that?
No idea what you mean. Photo?

DrTolhur

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-19 at 9.01.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-19 at 9.01.05 PM.png
    61.1 KB · Views: 32

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The nub is a “stop” so too much pressure can’t be put on the edges so the blades aren’t forced past closed. When the edges are sharpened down, the nub is filed so the edges meet properly.

The word is many modern tools have solved the situation and it’s there for show.

cheers
DSD sends

DrTolhur

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Huh, well that's kind of annoying. Seems silly to go out of your way to add something non-functional that also doesn't appeal to aesthetics just because it was always there. At least the tiny "handles" on maple syrup bottles look kinda fun and iconic. This is just a hunk of nondescript metal.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When you see and use them for over 50 years you get to the point where they just seem to make sense.

DrTolhur

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
When you see and use them for over 50 years you get to the point where they just seem to make sense.
That may be, but it doesn't make them worth keeping around. Would you buy a tool that has the nub just because it has the nub even though it serves no purpose? If so, then clearly the business decision makes sense to sell more. I would personally much prefer to buy one without the useless vestige.

Anyway, I appreciate the input to explain them more. I originally thought that it had to do with protecting the edges, but that theory didn't hold up when realizing the nub is never contacted by the tool.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would personally much prefer to buy one without the useless vestige.
You are entitled.
I have old concave cutters that are many decades old and have been sharpened several times. The "Nub" does barely make contact.
I am not sure why I bothered to respond to this as it serves no purpose. Guess you just reeled me in my friend. I'm over it now.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That may be, but it doesn't make them worth keeping around. Would you buy a tool that has the nub just because it has the nub even though it serves no purpose? If so, then clearly the business decision makes sense to sell more. I would personally much prefer to buy one without the useless vestige.

Anyway, I appreciate the input to explain them more. I originally thought that it had to do with protecting the edges, but that theory didn't hold up when realizing the nub is never contacted by the tool.
Damn, you are a hater. Second thread I see from you, both trying to create some sort of polemic. Your MO is common among trolls: you start asking a question, to then proceed to dismiss the answer and imply everyone should do things differently because you find whatever it is you are asking about, dumb. Annoyinf, but people like you never last on these fora. And there is a handy "ignore" function.

DrTolhur

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I will admit that I tend to be opinionated, but I will refute claims of entitled, hater, or troll. I didn't dismiss the answer...I'm simply displeased with the reality of it. I asked a question, had it answered, and I appreciate the answer. I then added my own perspective, which was apparently a bridge too far. I like things to make sense, to be as entirely rational as possible, disliking tradition for tradition's sake. Other people are different. So be it. I didn't say anything mean or rude against anyone, just expressed a different preference.

I'm not sure what you mean by "people like [me]" "never last long on these fora." This has been a great resource for my foray into bonsai for the past couple years. As I get more comfortable on my own path, I'm sure it will serve less purpose over time. No, I'm not looking to continually learn more and more about bonsai. I want to learn enough to do what I want and be happy with it, and this has helped get me there quicker than I could with more general articles/videos.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You could put a piece of rubber around it so it does function.

When it does touch normally, it could be a sign your cutting edges have gotten too short.

Sorce

vancehanna

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
The nub is a “stop” so too much pressure can’t be put on the edges so the blades aren’t forced past closed. When the edges are sharpened down, the nub is filed so the edges meet properly.

The word is many modern tools have solved the situation and it’s there for show.

cheers
DSD sends
Never file the nub. File the shank of the handle.

CptnGlyn

Yamadori
Reaction score
If you don’t have a nub and the blade breaks whilst cutting you will break your fingers. Modern secateurs have a similar device but in between the handles.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
From what Deep Sea Diver indicated, the nub used to be a necessary part of the tool.

Have you considered the possibility that the nub is part of the mold the metal is poured into when forging the tool?

To get a new mold made to eliminate the nub for every cutting tool they make isn't worth the cost and time required considering the nub doesn't hurt anything by being there?

However what @CptnGlyn says might make sense too

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The nub has been with us a long time. I have an antique set of hand forged bonsai tools (I don't Use though they are usable) that have the "nub".
The "nub" is like an emergency brake and there are people who don't use those either.
I am a bit surprised that such a trifling thing has generated this much interest or lack thereof.
Yet here I am defending my "nubs".
I'm done.

Top Bottom