Why I love the Acer P's

Colorado Slim

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I picked up a Purple Ghost this spring, no where near even training yet, but recent growth popping out has done this...

this is why I love these beautiful trees...

Attachments

• P7260057.JPG
    P7260057.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 100
  • P7260059.JPG
    P7260059.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 95

Jason

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Careful...your in danger of getting sucked into maple bonsai-dom....it's like a disease.

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Careful...your in danger of getting sucked into maple bonsai-dom....it's like a disease.

Yep, it's like a bottomless pit, once you get sucked in, it's hard to get out. That's because the maple varieties are endless, and you can't have them all.

I had my maples obsession, as well as the satsuki azalea obsession, both lasted a couple of years, but I was lucky to get out unscathed.
Now I just care about bonsai, and no particular species.

Colorado Slim

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
unfortunately for me I have more maples than anything... and I would be happy if I had one of each :):) but I have 5 acres and they all probably wouldn't fit... there's not much in this world more beautiful to me than a field of different maples in their varying fall colors... except maybe when my Aspens are in spring break and golden yellow... also stunning.

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
...there's not much in this world more beautiful to me than a field of different maples in their varying fall colors... except maybe when my Aspens are in spring break and golden yellow... also stunning.

You're lucky to live in a climate where fall colors are exquisite. Here in So. Cal., I am excited if I managed to get some fall color out of my Liquidambar/Gum. Japanese maples just get burned out by September.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
unfortunately for me I have more maples than anything... and I would be happy if I had one of each :):) but I have 5 acres and they all probably wouldn't fit... there's not much in this world more beautiful to me than a field of different maples in their varying fall colors... except maybe when my Aspens are in spring break and golden yellow... also stunning.

I'm surprised you can plant A. palmatums out in your climate...I thought usda zone 5 was about the coldest climate they would survive planted out in the landscape.

Dave...another recovering palmatum hoarder

jferrier

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So nice to know that there are others out there that share this affliction! I started out buying different varities I liked and then started growing from seed and that's when I really got addicted.

Colorado Slim

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm surprised you can plant A. palmatums out in your climate...I thought usda zone 5 was about the coldest climate they would survive planted out in the landscape.

believe me I take precautions, but I've only ever lost 1 from weather, and that one was a junk tree I picked up at Home Depot cheap that fall and never repotted it or got it in the ground.

It does help that I have a greenhouse which gives me a few extra degrees and I cover pretty completely with mulch. I also have a shed and a garage if things get real bad, but I've never had to worry about it.

I'm actually going to be trying my luck with an Acer B Trident this year in open ground, I will take precautions to have extra insulation piled on before the snow comes in.

Phillip C

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Japanese Maple1.jpgJapnese Maple Base1.jpgJapnese Maple Leaf1.jpg
I just this afternoon bought an acer palmatum, or at least it was labeled as such. Got a five gallon(5.5') tree (nursery stock) from HD for $19. I am new to Bonsai and wasn't even sure JM's would make good Bonsai material and this one may not. I am going to seek experienced advice, but thought I would let it go dormant and cut it back to about 1.5' to 2' and let it branch, eventually picking one as the new "trunk" and getting a bit more movement going. The tree seems to have a goo sized trunk for the height, but what do I know (not much). I post a few pics and see if you guys have anything to say. If it is a POS say so, won't hurt my feelings, I've got less than $20 in the thing. BTW, I am 51 years old and trying to develop patience and Bonsai is helping teach me that. Thanks, Phillip C

ps Sorry for the poor quality of the photo's, I can do better than this tomorrow if anyone wans to see more. PC

Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Phillip, it's a bit hard to see what it is in the pics, but JM's are good material to work with. There are types better than others, the ones with shorter internodes work best. What type did you get? You can always chop it and learn from it even if it's not the best type, and you've only spent $20. on the lesson, that's how I see it!

Phillip C

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Judy,

I am so new that I don't know what an internode is, so i can't answer about them. It's labeled as an Acer palmatum and i don't even know if that is correct or not. As to what type, like I said it was labeled Acer palmatum and the shot of the leaf is a bit better that the shot of the entire tree. I will go out tomorrow and shoot some of the trunk and try to show you where I am thinking of cutting it off next spring to allow for trunk growth and sprouting for eventually choosing a limb to make into the trunk and add some good movement to the trunk. Left alone, I would change my mind 3,000 times about where to cut it off. It's in a deep 5 gallon pot and as it is currently 5.5' tall or so, it's getting cut way back before breaking bud this coming Spring as my space is very small and i am not living with a tree on my deck for years. At the end of the day, you're right, i've got less than $20 in the thing.

Would it do any good to get some big wire and slightly bend the trunk along it's natural movement now? It could be done with large wire and lots of force, but where there is a will there is a way (or is that where there is a will, there is a dead tree?)

I'll do so homework on internodes, and shoot you some shots (better) of what I have. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it. Phillip C

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Phillip, when you post this tree again, please start a new thread so you don't end up hijacking this one...:)

Phillip C

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Judy, thanks for the heads up. I have not been a member of a forum before and am not sure of the protocol. I can certainly see what you mean and I will do that when I get a few more photo's to post later today. I was just reading in this section trying to learn about JM's when I posted the first time, didn't mean to steal the post. I will either post in this topic or in the "New to Bonsai" section. Again, thanks for the heads up. You others, please continue where you left off. Sincerely Phillip C

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
colorado slim, i also have one of these purple ghosts. ... the nuances and changes in the colors throughout the growing seasons are a treat.

... what maple obsession??? ... my purple ghost is only one of 26 cultivars that i have. :D :D :D

Top Bottom